superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Useful Bit of Information for Entry Writers  (Read 6314 times)
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« on: April 10, 2005, 02:14:38 PM »

Hey, guys! I just came across this neat list compiled from DC's 1976 calendar showing the birthday's and major events in the lives of the major Pre-Crisis DC characters ... including the birthdays of Superman (which everyone knows is February 29th) and the "birthday" of Clark Kent! Check it out!

http://www.eskimo.com/~tegan/aqua/cal/calendar_1976.html

And according to this list, today is Black Canary's birthday.

Who goes there?!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 05:52:34 PM »

There's another DC Universe calendar at http://www.geocities.com/the_time_trust_2000/calendar.htm which draws from the "1976 Super DC Calendar" (check the Neal Adam's art at http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/6680/RACDU/DC1976.html   There's also notes identifying any discrepancies, plus some additions not covered in the original calendar.  Dick Grayson has THREE birthdays listed -- pre-Crisis, post-Crisis and post-Zero Hour!

Interesting point -- Supergirl and Batgirl's birthdays are only one day part -- September 22 and 23.  We know that Kara and Babs were close friends, even though they didn't have many published adventures together.  But perhaps they celebrated each other's birthday "off-camera", so to speak.  Also, this falls exactly on the cusp of Virgo and Libra.  I'm no astrologist, but I believe people born at this time share some aspects of either sign.  Obviously such birthday placements was a deliberate action, so one wonders which primary characteristic influenced the two heroines -- even though Earth's zodiac would have NO bearing on one born in Argo City, and we don't have their time of birth to do an accurate chart.

Neal Adam's had a lineup of female heroes (Black Canary, Mary Marvel, Supergirl, Lois Lane and Hawkgirl -- WHAT? No WONDER WOMAN?) for the month of September 1976, and it seems that September was an important month for DC ladies.  Not only were Supergirl and Batgirl's birthdays in September, but also Huntess Helena Wayne and Flash's wife Iris Allen.  Wonder Woman also first arrived on the "Man's World" that month.  Other "red letter" days for Supergirl was September 15, when she first met Lena Thorul, and Setember 30, when she was revealed to the world by her cousin.

Hmm... apparently I share a birthday with Sgt. Rock.  Anyone also have a birthday with a DC celebrity?

DTO
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 06:03:57 PM »

No.  :cry:  The closest birthday to mine (May 16th) is the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite's (May 18th).

Interesting thing I didn't know ... apparently the Big Red Cheese chose Superman's birthday (February 29th) as his own "birthday" according to this calendar ... even though Billy Batson first becomes Captain Marvel on November 8th.

Who goes there?!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 06:41:59 PM »

But Bill 9000, take a look at this!

May 16: Lana Lang given bio-ring by alien, she becomes Insect Queen

You were born on INSECT QUEEN DAY!   :wink:

DTO
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 06:50:49 PM »

Ma & Pa Kent die of a fever plauge.   :?

Some event that goes on my birthday.
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 11:55:39 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
But Bill 9000, take a look at this!

May 16: Lana Lang given bio-ring by alien, she becomes Insect Queen

You were born on INSECT QUEEN DAY!   :wink:

GAH!  :shock:  Does this mean I'll wake up looking like a centipede on my birthday this year?!  :wink:  :lol:

Who goes there?!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 01:43:08 AM »

I share the same brithday as Dr. Mind  :shock:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 02:23:17 AM »

Hmm...April 30th, depending on the calendar looked at, is either blank (hmph) or:

>>#
# Apr 30 - Arbor Day - April 30 is also Walpurgis Night Watch Out For Witches!<<

Arbor Day that year fell on April 30, 1976 apparently---when I turned a year old...

No idea what Walpurgis Night is...

Either way, my birthday's a day after Pete discovers Superboy's identity...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L