superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Superboy TV Show(s)  (Read 7844 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: April 13, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »

Didn't see another topic on this. I only remember seeing one episode of Superboy when I was a kid. He was shot with a bazooka or something.

Was the Superboy tv series any good? If so, is it available on DVD or video anywhere? Also, I seem to remember there being an Adventures of Superboy cartoon....

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »

In the mid-60's, a Filmation-animated "Superman" cartoon series had as backup segments Superboy (with Krypto).

The late 80's and early 90's Superboy live-action series seemed moderately popular, but far as I can tell or guess, between its pre-Crisis elements clashing with DC's new post-Crisis direction and its then-upcoming "Lois and Clark" series they'd want to push (which uses the post-Crisis Superman, i.e. no Superboy career), along with rights arguments, the show's not been aired anywhere (or released on DVD anywhere) since it left the air. Hmph.

Unless you count the "Smallville" series, the pilot made for a proposed "Superboy" live-action TV show in the early 60's, or Superboy's cameo in a "Superfriends" episode (the SFs go back in time to the 50's; Superboy and Superman manage to coexist in the same time-era and interact with each other, sans anyone caring about altering the past it seemed, unless that Legion of Super-Heroes memory-block-thing kicked in for Superboy), that's about it for the Boy of Steel's media appearances. Given current post-Crisis events, doesn't look like the original Boy of Steel will be seen anywhere anytime soon, though Krypto now has his own cartoon (on Cartoon Network).

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 07:36:17 PM »

You can buy some Superboy cartoons and the B&W pilot from the early 1960s here.

Word is that WB has tentative plans to release the live action Superboy series on DVD (along with the George Reeves Superman series, Lois & Clark, and maybe even the Kirk Alyn serials) but in the meantime there's a Superboy DVD available at Gerard Christpher's site.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:19:35 AM »

according to the last most recent WB DVD Chat, Superboy will be released on DVD, thanks to popularity of Smallville

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 03:17:39 PM »

I remember some episodes, this series wasn't bad...
Especially Bizarro and Luthor were good characters.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
tgallagher
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »

if youve got £25 to spend you can buy every episode of the superboy tv setries here. i just orderd my copy

http://www.raretv.co.uk

SUPERMAN V

http://www.freewebs.com/supermansupersite
Please Visit My website
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 02:26:17 AM »

The show was OK.  Not great, but not really bad either.  The weakest season was the first, the second the best, and the third and fourth were OK.

DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »

At times it was good, at times it was corney, and at times it was boring.  It went though various changes and formats.  The Cary Bates era was the best for the show in my opinion.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L