superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jor-El and Lara survived the destruction of Krypton?!  (Read 3502 times)
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: April 20, 2005, 09:07:55 PM »

... not a dream! Not a lie! And definitely not an imaginary story!... Even though it was never referenced since.  :wink:

http://www.comics-db.com/comics/comic_books.cgi?comic=1010887&book=Superboy

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and there's info there... http://www.captaincomics.us/archives/bookofdead/jorellara.htm

Ever since I saw the cover for this one sometime ago, it's downright fascinated me and even though any info I get on this issue seems to indicate it's not that great... I'm sure it'd be an interesting tale to read. So... has anyone read it? The tale of where after many years of Kryptonian artifacts and beings surfacing in the mythos, the two people most associated with the destruction of Krypton turn up alive?

Unforunately guys, I won't be able to read feedback on this one for some time, as I explain elsewhere, http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10308, but if anyone can give me any feedback on what the issue was like, I'd much appreciate it! And I'll check back whenever I make my online return! :wink:

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:22:19 AM »

I've read this one and no, it's not great.  If memory serves, this was reprinted in one of those black and white paperbacks from the 70s.

Anyway, the gist is that Superboy finds Jor-El and Lara floating in space as you see them on the cover.  In the end, he's unable to wake them anyway as it will result in their immediate deaths. :roll:

I remember the art was by Bob Brown with maybe Wally Wood on inks, so at least it looked nice.  Story maybe by Frank Robbins? Anyway, I tend to file it with such "revelations" as Bruce Wayne's forgotten brother and Clark Kent's hypnotic glasses.  Apocrypha.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:56:39 PM »

Wally Wood me thinks on inks.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:00:02 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
I've read this one and no, it's not great.  If memory serves, this was reprinted in one of those black and white paperbacks from the 70s.

Anyway, the gist is that Superboy finds Jor-El and Lara floating in space as you see them on the cover.  In the end, he's unable to wake them anyway as it will result in their immediate deaths. :roll:

I remember the art was by Bob Brown with maybe Wally Wood on inks, so at least it looked nice.  Story maybe by Frank Robbins? Anyway, I tend to file it with such "revelations" as Bruce Wayne's forgotten brother and Clark Kent's hypnotic glasses.  Apocrypha.

Don't forget Flash's Mopee. :-)

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:13:48 PM »

This probably should be classified as an "Earth-B" story.  

According to http://www.io.com/~woodward/chroma/atminor.html#Earth-B

----------------------------
Earth-B

Keyword(s): The Brave and the Bold
Classification: Alternate Earth

Key Events
First Appearance: uncertain
Notable Appearance: The Brave and the Bold #131, circa 1973
Probable Appearance: DC Challenge! #1-12, 1985-1986

This Earth is a resting ground for stories that contradict known fact. "Fact" in this case mostly means "editorial decree". For example, the above issue of The Brave and the Bold has Catwoman committing murder, which the "official" Catwomen of Earths 1 and 2 would never do. The continuity-shattering and extremely silly maxiseries DC Challenge! probably took place on Earth-B. This earth is named "B" because most of the stories relegated to it were either edited by Murray Boltinoff, written by Bob Haney or E. Nelson Bridwell, or appeared in The Brave and the Bold.
--------------------------------------------------

So even if this story wasn't a Bob Haney creation or appeared in "The Brave and the Bold", I believe this contradictory tale definitely belongs in a separate world distinct from Earth-1 continuity.  Anyone agree?

Hmm... "DC Challenge!" occurred at the same time as the Crisis on Infinite Earths.  Perhaps "DC Challenge!" was Earth-B's version of the Crisis?  Which then means that Earth-B and Supergirl survived...?   :wink:

DTO
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:55:17 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"

Well the hypnotic glasses were to adress the problem of why if somebody had pictures of Clark Kent and Superman side by side they did not see the simularities. Thanks to the reference I know that this story was told in in Superboy #158 (July 1969). But there are some practical problems here - had it not been established by that time that green K did not work on non-superpower Krytonians? So simple have one of the many robot he had take the ship to a red sunned planet and open it up there.

Of course when it came to common sence solutions there were times when Superman/boy could be Stupidman/boy.

For example you just built a lab for your friend filled with toxic chemicals which is now ablaze. Do you:

a) use your superbreath and blow out the flame and risk hitting your firend with what ever is in the lab?

b) use your superspeed and wrap your invulnrable cape around them to prevent them from being further hurt by the fumes?

You are flying around and see some bank roobers Do you:

a) Rush in sure your superpowers can deal with them only to find out that one of them has a lead box with Green K in it?

b) use your vision powers to see that one fo them has a lead box and ue your heat vision to weld the thing such and then go in and take card of the?

If You were the Silver-Bronze age Supermboy/man option a) was usially the first and only choice. I love the character but too many time writers turned Superman in to a Superidiot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L