superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st official image of Brandon Routh as Superman  (Read 27291 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 07:04:11 AM »

Quote from: "kysersosai"
King Krypton... ok so the pic was a little desaturated in a fairness

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?s=5fe4f57da63f0d3dbbf38404aa2a6251&t=2024
http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=31&pos=1

click the pic to get a real clean hhi res version of the pick. The color are better and who cares about the little details, boots belt balh blah blah

B U T and I say but...

perfect example look at the top right of the screen the superman Birthright pic. that is the "MAN OF STEEL" difference, the "S" plain and simple. THe small "s" makes the whole idea of the character small.

Clark kent is smalltown, SUperman is ... S U P E R Man. BIG S

Plus as you imply with "*Sigh* Not here, too.... " then there alot of fans complaining, why not give us the what we want... the people who aren't complaining won't complain and the complainer will shut up and be HAPPY!

Because they don't deserve what they want. They don't even KNOW what they want. Some won't be happy unless it's the Alex Ross suit. Some won't rest until they get the Reeve suit. Still more won't accept anything other than Cain's suit. Still others want THEIR personal visions of the suit. Anything WB conjures up would take the same amount of ignorant, hateful, unjustified, and baseless abuse the current suit is getting.

The fans are also traitors of the worst kind. They were more than willing to sell Superman down the river when the JJ Abrams "Krypton doesn't blow up and Luthor's Kryptonian" script was still going full-steam ahead, even launching flame wars against anyone who could see the disaster coming. Some have been vicious in their attacks on any Hollywood incarnation that isn't Smallville, even demanding that Smallville become the official canon at all costs. Others have flatly condemned anything and everything that isn't an exact copy of John Byrne's Man of Steel, and will not accept anything else. They have nothing but the highest contempt for anything that isn't THEIR pet version, and they'll gladly shaft the character's entire history just to get their own way. And every single one of these camps is at each other's throats all the time. "Give the fans what they want"? Are you kidding? The fans are so mind-bogglingly stupid that they can't agree on anything! They not onyl don't know what they want, they have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to expect to get it. Their hatefulness toward Superman's history and their blind selfishness makes their demands forfeit. Not only should they not be listend to, they should NEVER be listened to ever again. Any group of people willing to backpedal and happily support a script that by all rights they should have been fighting is totaly unworthy of my respect.

And the "Singer cheapened the outfit" line is patently false, plain and simple. Emblem buckle? HJ Ward did it first. Darker costume colors? "Exile" (Spring 1989), "Our Worlds at War," Kingdom Come, the Max Fleischer cartoons...it's been done in the past to great success. Smaller emblem? Golden/Silver/Bronze Age, Fleischer, Alyn, Reeves...nothing new. Higher collar? Golden Age, Alyn, Dean Cain's suit from the Lois & Clark pilot...been there before. Two-toned cape? Fleischer and Dini/Timm both did it (their capes were darker on the inside). There's a grand total of three things new with the costume: texture on the boots, a slightly raised emblem, and a diamond pattern on the fabric. Everything else has been done before! And the suit is still the traditional Superman, just slightly updated. I fail to see how any sane, rational human being can claim that the costume's been "ruined" or "cheapened."

I have not one whit of respect or sympathy for all this nitpicking. The new costume is fine, end of discussion. If they'd totally screwed with the design, then I'd see a reason to gripe.
 :evil:

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 01:44:02 AM »

Apparently, this movie is in an alternate universe that still has phone booths! Shocked
http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=19&pos=15

Regarding the suit: It isn't what I would have come up with, but no one pays me (or likely ever will) for fashion advice. I am impressed by the difference between Clark and Superman. Maybe the tagline for the movie could be, "You'll believe a pair of glasses and a different hairdo are a good disguise!"

Superman is confident, inspiring, humble, and unwavering in his dedication to justice. Rather than worrying about the suit, I'm more concerned that they get the character right.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 02:14:23 PM »

I can live with the outfit.  It's far from perfect (and I suppose it should be perfect, given that it probably cost several thousand dollars per suit), but as we've seen with the Batman franchise, it could have been soooo much worse! (Don't forget it wasn't that long ago Jon Peters wanted a capeless Superman and thought, for some odd reason, that the suit was PINK!!!)

The big thing I'm going to have to get over is Brandon Routh.  He looks like a little kid in this picture!  I guess I always knew the day would come when an actor playing Superman would be younger than me, but I really, really wish Hollywood had some grown-up looking talent to offer.  Youthful is one thing, child-like is something else again.  I just watched "Captain Blood" again on DVD (just out, and highly recommended!) and it's hard to believe Errol Flynn was only 26 when he made it!  He was so young and yet still came off as mature and a leader of men.  Where are all these guys today? I'm not part of the Tom Welling crowd, but if you're just going to replace one teenage-looking actor with another, what's the point?

And isn't Superman supposed to be 6 years older than Chris Reeve was in 1981?

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »

Think Ill just reread some old silver ages and dream.....BLAARG
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »

Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"
Apparently, this movie is in an alternate universe that still has phone booths! Shocked

Yeah, my impression is that this movie won't take place in any specific year, but in a non-specific generic 20th century.  It'll have some 1940s elements, some 1970s elements, etc.  Kind of like the same approach they took with the first Batman movie.
Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"
Superman is confident, inspiring, humble, and unwavering in his dedication to justice. Rather than worrying about the suit, I'm more concerned that they get the character right.

Agreed, that's really more important than anything.
Quote from: "nightwing"
The big thing I'm going to have to get over is Brandon Routh. He looks like a little kid in this picture! I guess I always knew the day would come when an actor playing Superman would be younger than me, but I really, really wish Hollywood had some grown-up looking talent to offer. Youthful is one thing, child-like is something else again. I just watched "Captain Blood" again on DVD (just out, and highly recommended!) and it's hard to believe Errol Flynn was only 26 when he made it! He was so young and yet still came off as mature and a leader of men. Where are all these guys today?

Well, if Errol Flynn could pull it off, who's to say that Brandon Routh can't?
And isn't Superman supposed to be 6 years older than Chris Reeve was in 1981?

He's Superman, he ages really slowly.  Besides, all that high speed space travel makes him more youthful.  It's a relativity thing.  :wink:

More interesting news:  Jack Larson (the 1950s Jimmy Olsen) has apparently been cast as a bar tender.  He'll be joining Noel Neil as one of the super veterans in the flick.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pariah
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 07:50:57 PM »

Personally, I don't see what the problem is that some of you are having with this new costume. It's pretty much the standard Superman look we all know and recognize, although just a tad updated. I mean, this film is about Superman's return. Why not tweak the costume just a bit for the New Age? But it's still, basically, the same costume we've always known.

He looks great. He'll be great. Bryan Singer knows what he's doing.
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 01:48:04 AM »

What I've feared has come to pass. Instead of Superman ... we got Superboy.  :evil:

And the cycle continues ... but anyway, on to my critique of the uniform itself.

I'm not crazy about the size of the emblem itself. In my opinion, it's too small. However, I do like its design. It's very modern without losing any of the traditional flavour. And I like the fact that it's more of a plate than an imprint or a cloth design ... adds to the modernization.

The red colouring appears a little too drab. It makes the whole suit look too plain ... like it's missing something. And the blue should be a little richer, too.

The trunks are too small. What's up with that?!! However, I do like the styling of the belt ... and I love the emblem for the buckle. It harkens back to a lovely painting of the Golden Age Superman that appeared in the 1940s. I also like the fact that it goes more for a gold colour rather than a stark yellow.

The boots need to be thrown out. They're too low-cut ... not enough of a "swashbuckler" look to them, as Ma Kent once said. And the double seam at the top is missing.

Overall, it's not a bad attempt ... but there's definitely room for improvement.

Who goes there?!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

it's hard to believe Errol Flynn was only 26 when he made it! He was so young and yet still came off as mature and a leader of men. Where are all these guys today?

Um ... Iraq?  Oh, you mean movie stars?! :oops:   Good question!  I have a hard time seeing any Hollywood type under 40 as a leader --the 50-something George Clooney is the youngest that springs to mind (I just saw Ocean's 12).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L