superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:36:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st official image of Brandon Routh as Superman  (Read 27071 times)
The Ceb-Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 12:49:14 AM »

I like the new outfit, although like Grant the feedback hasn't been good, we will probably see some more change to the costume.

I do like the way The S shield is more 3 dimensional and not just a part of the body.

The Ceb-Man!

"One thing I know son is that you are here for a reason."
   - Jonathan "Pa" (Glenn Ford) Kent,
                  Superman :The Movie (1978)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 05:43:05 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

:cry:

Honestly, my enthusiasm for the picture sank the moment I saw this pic.

I know that sounds very unfair to the director and the script, but for a movie like this the visual is part and parcel with the overall appeal.

It's a remarkably underwhelming take on the costume.  The belt design just looks awful.  They did the exact opposite of what they should have done with the colors. They lightened the blue and darkened the reds when it should be the other way around. The reds have this brown look to them which is just totally uninspiring. The yellow/gold parts just look orange.

I don't mind the fabric texture or even the raised \S/. I actually liked the design of the sheild itself at least.

The close-to-the-neck collar makes it look unauthentic. Rather like one of those halloween costumes you can buy for adults.  The smaller \S/ contributes to that too.  It would be an alright size if you were doing a live  action version of the Fleisher toon sheild.  I think ideally you never want to go larger or smaller than the Reeve sheild.  With the extremes being Rouths as too small and Alex Ross as too big.

Theres a very John Haymes Netwon as Superboy effect going on here.  Even down to Rouths hair. Too long and parted to the left (instead of the right with a kind of wave going with the curl). The curl is just kinda gelled on.  He really just looks a guy in a Superman halloween costume going to a party and not THE Man of Steel in the flesh.

Both Batman Begins costume and this one have been major disapointments for me.  Now I'm only partially looking foward to either picture.

I would take the same basic design and fabric textures only darker blue, brighter, richer red.  Make the collar bigger, Reeve size. Make the yellows actual gold. Loose the loops on the trunks and just have the belt running along the top ( much like Alan Davis did with Superboy in Superboys Legion). I would either drop the entire belt design or at the very least have a diamond shape but take the sheild off.  It's totally redundant to have it on the front of his costume twice.  It's bold and on his chest. The statement is already made! With his hair part is the other way and make it shorter above the ears and in the back.

Alas, not to be.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
kysersosai
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 07:48:50 PM »

I COMPLETELY AGREE with KUUGA. I don't remember if you mentioned the italy boots but they are really to low making them look like socks.

I just can't believe they keep making these mistakes in comic adaptations. They have GOld with the Reeves design, but they have to change it, why do they always have to  change it. Most of the time i think these film people are making a movie for a select few and not the fans. Then they're shocked at boxoffice disasters like DD/elektra/punisher/batidiot 345. Jesus help these idiot in hollywood. All they care about is the merchandise. I bet some fool pitched the idea "ya we can make the 3d "S" a button and he can squirt red water out of his eye's"

MOROONS

I mean SUPERMAN is an ICON a figure that has stood strong throughout generations. We want "THE MAN OF STEEL" not "PRADA SUPERGUY 2006".

Seriously they went classic with the clark kent look, I'm just so pissed that they changed the costume so much. I NOT GONNA SEE IT... ok maybe.

Is there a complaint department... or a SInger suggestion box. ANyone want to start a petition. I don't care if they started shooting, IT"S BLASPHEMY

I"M JUST ANGERY

p/s cool forum

K Y S E R|S O S A I
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 03:39:33 AM »

*Sigh* Not here, too....

People, the pic is desaturated. Routh's skin tone is completely off. And the reds are a lot brighter in other versions of the pic.

http://tinypic.com/4lilox

This is much more accurate to the color scheme.

As for the tweaks to the design...it's still Superman, the design is still pretty much the same, what's the big deal? A belt buckle change, raised emblem, and tweaked costume tones are not going to hurt the look, and they don't.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
kysersosai
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 05:12:40 AM »

King Krypton... ok so the pic was a little desaturated in a fairness

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?s=5fe4f57da63f0d3dbbf38404aa2a6251&t=2024
http://www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=31&pos=1

click the pic to get a real clean hhi res version of the pick. The color are better and who cares about the little details, boots belt balh blah blah

B U T and I say but...

perfect example look at the top right of the screen the superman Birthright pic. that is the "MAN OF STEEL" difference, the "S" plain and simple. THe small "s" makes the whole idea of the character small.

Clark kent is smalltown, SUperman is ... S U P E R Man. BIG S

Plus as you imply with "*Sigh* Not here, too.... " then there alot of fans complaining, why not give us the what we want... the people who aren't complaining won't complain and the complainer will shut up and be HAPPY!

still unhappy

K Y S E R|S O S A I
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 06:09:26 PM »

Personally, I like the costume.  It's not what I would have done with it but it still looks like Superman.  The people who are bellyaching about this are the same people who moaned and groaned about the Green Goblin costume in Spider-Man.  I didn't care much for it either but I didn't let it ruin the movie for me.
I look at it this way.  If the movie stinks we still have the original Christopher Reeve flick.

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 06:23:48 PM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
*Sigh* Not here, too....

People, the pic is desaturated. Routh's skin tone is completely off. And the reds are a lot brighter in other versions of the pic.

http://tinypic.com/4lilox

This is much more accurate to the color scheme.

As for the tweaks to the design...it's still Superman, the design is still pretty much the same, what's the big deal? A belt buckle change, raised emblem, and tweaked costume tones are not going to hurt the look, and they don't.

I appreciate where you are coming from King. I really do.

I know you deal with alot of negativity on a regular basis given the boards that you travel.  But I'm sorry, I have to disagree.  

The look *is* hurt. The suit looks cheap and design wise a real step down from the Reeve suit even in spite of the advanced materials. Like I said before, it looks like a average joe in a Halloween costume.  Wheras with Reeve, it looked like he walked off the comic page and into our realm.

Obviously a big part of that was the man himself. I don't deny that Brandon Routh has the look and even the build. But Reeve was also helped through a very well done and mindful costuming (not to mention his hair as well).

Are these ultimately just tweaks to the iconic look? Sure.  

The \S/ on Reeves costume not having the knob at the end. That's a tweak.

Dean Cain having a darker shade of blue for his body suit. That's a tweak.

Alex Ross giving Superman a wider collar with the cape attached just at the very ends of it rather that the square Roman cape look that is often depicted. That's a tweak.  

Black belt with a silver or ice-blue buckle. That's a tweak.

But that doesn't really do anything to excuse them from an arguement about wether or not these "tweaks" work or don't. I agree they are using the iconic look, but all the "tweaks" that they have come up with work against the look.  

When dealing with a simple and iconic design like Supermans though, every detail counts because theres nothing to fall back on.  Even something like the length of the cape or what shades of the classic colors can make a difference.  If tweaks didn't make a difference, Superman would still have Roman sandals on and his \S/ would just be all yellow.

Is the \S/ on the belt as bad as say, Dean Cains kindergarden art-project buckle? Maybe not, but it still doesn't work. It's redudant. I don't know maybe it's too make up for how small the sheild is on his chest.

The very friggin least they could've done is gotten his hair right, had the sheild be a bolder size and given him a cloth cape.  The thing is so heavy it can't even billow out behind him. It's like he has a tarp on his back.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Brainiac44
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 11:18:17 PM »

Hi,

Well, the thing that displeases is that in comics and artist renditions, it changes.  While a movie with that budget, it can kill future projects - this is it - the movie people have been speculating on for years.  Now - like I said on my site - this is a design from a director who's thinking X-Men not Superman.  
There's something about Superman that you can't fool around with the costume.  It's either perfect or completely bad.  Now, the trunks make it look like a poster boy - I betcha the back of the slip is a g-string...  Ok the insignia - you want to make it a little different no prob - but - I also have a problem with the size of it.  Finally the boots are not high enough and they look cheap.  I'm sure they paid a bundle for it but they look cheap.  
Finally, I really hope that Bryan Singer & WB are taking the pulse all over the web because the suit is at best "accepted" by 3 or 4% of the people who see it...

Visit my site homepage to see my opinion on it...

Friend

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L