superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:14:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Imaginary Story  (Read 15163 times)
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 07:25:10 PM »

Quote from: "Bill 9000"
I usually look at imaginary stories as depicting events that have diverged from the mainstream timeline at a certain key point in history ... kind of like Marvel's What If stories. They're not meant to be taken as gospel. The best example of this is the story of Superman-Red and Superman-Blue.

But how does that differ form an alternatve history story? Like Superman your Dead, Dead, Dead where superman is thrown into anther alternate future where 'he' is actually the second (and last) in a line of artifical Superman
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 07:42:41 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Sure it is, since it's impossible for that Cartoon to exist in the comic book Earth-1 or Earth-2 or any other Earth besides Earth-Prime but that story can not take place there since Superman is there in the tale, therefore it is clearly an what if tale aka an Imaginary Story.

Usenet asked a good question. If the heroes of Earth-2 has comics based on the on Earth-1 then what about the Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman of Earth-2? One the last Pre-Crisis tried to handwave this by having  the Earth-1 Julie Schwartz created characters named Ultra-Man, Night Wizard, and Madam Miracle, who were very similar to Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman that did well until the 'real' heroes showed up.

Of course while a great tribute the flaw in the story *was* the timing - the Silver age started in 1955 with the Barry Allen Flash which roughly fit with Perry White story about events of 35 years ago (http://superman.nu/tales2/lastPrime/?page=9) and the Earth-1 Superman was nearly always portrayed in the 30-40 year old range. Meaning that even if it had been Superboy that had driven Ultra-man off the shelves the comic would have had a 14 year run. Assuming Batman came out right after turning 21 that meant Night Wizard had to have been in print nearly that long. Was also were told that in the comics Barry enjoyed the JSA had a Wonder Woman making the whole Madam Miracle thing redundent.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 05:17:31 AM »

An imaginary tale is just a 'what if' tale outside of regular continuity. And Ultraman and the Crime Syndicate were on Earth-3..the original superheroes were on Earth-2.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 07:36:46 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster"
An imaginary tale is just a 'what if' tale outside of regular continuity. And Ultraman and the Crime Syndicate were on Earth-3..the original superheroes were on Earth-2.

But the problem with this line of logic is there really was not a "regular" continuity and writers basicly ignored the mass they had made of things until Flash of Two worlds (1961) showed up and gave a really nice out - alternate Earths. Then the flood gate opened and Earth-2, Earth-E, and Earth-B were put forth in the 1970's  to address all the major continuity glitches that DC had allowed.

Trying to pin down if you are reading an Earth-2, Earth-E, Earth-1 or Earth-B story is about as fun as trying to figure out Hawkman's Post-Crisis to Pre-Zero Hour history. As far as Superman is concerned Earth-2 he works for the Daily Star, Luthor has a full head of hair and he has another archfoe called the Ultrahuminite. Earth-E he lives in the same time period as the Superman of Earth-2 but works for the Daily Planet and Luthor is bald. Of the the two only Earth-E was a Superboy but he was kept busy at home by Luthor, some take over the world aliens, and 5th collunmists)

The Earth-1 Superman is the one everyone is most familar with: he was Superboy, knew Luthor as a kid, never had a foe called the Ultrahuminite works for Daily Planet and so on.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 01:01:40 PM »

I never has any trouble with a base alternate Earth 1 and Earth 2. It's the modern muddle  that confues me.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »

I've ALWAYS looked at the different "Imaginary Stories" as having taken place on other Earths.  This way, I can always imagine the Earth-1 Superman meeting up with the Earth-1986 Superman, et. al.  

And I've ALWAYS maintained that there are Earths which were COMPLETELY untouched by The Anti-Monitor!  Jason Todd is still Robin, and Kara Zor-El still goes into the far future to have adventures with a younger version of her cousin and The Legion of Super-Heroes!  

Wink

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2005, 02:24:18 AM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
I've ALWAYS looked at the different "Imaginary Stories" as having taken place on other Earths.  This way, I can always imagine the Earth-1 Superman meeting up with the Earth-1986 Superman, et. al.  

And I've ALWAYS maintained that there are Earths which were COMPLETELY untouched by The Anti-Monitor!  Jason Todd is still Robin, and Kara Zor-El still goes into the far future to have adventures with a younger version of her cousin and The Legion of Super-Heroes!  

Wink

"The Kingdom" seems to support this...though it's alternate timelines that didn't have a Crisis and not earths.

But hypertime is confusing.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2005, 03:15:59 AM »

Not to me.  Wink  

Every story printed HAS happened.  If it contradicts known continuity, it merely happened on a different Earth, is all.  

All of the different Supermen (Supermans?) haven't met each other, is all.  

Gernot...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L