superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:25:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Luthor and Brainiac  (Read 5468 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 12:54:50 AM »

It's too bad this issue isn't scanned online anywhere.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 06:25:13 AM »

I always thought that Luthor was just a jerk.  Add the greatest brain on Earth and you have a super-jerk --and big problems for Superman.  Maggin's characterization of the curly-haired, high-school aged Luthor as a practical joker with few moral boundaries and the adult Luthor as a monomaniacal genius/would-be conqueror were sufficient for me once I started to accept that bad-guys in comics needed to be more than one-dimensional, repeat-offenders.  Although Marvel comics' Shakespearian/tragic villains and anti-heroes had softened me up, I guess.

In many ways, without the criminal intent, Luthor is the human heart and hero of the chronicles, as Waid and co suggested in Kingdom Come.

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
I think the really key element of the upgraded Luthor of that issue wasn't so much his Lexor armour -- though that did make him a more credible foe of Superman and George Perez's design wasn't hard on the eyes by a longshot -- but the change in motivation.

Many fans had troubles buying into Lex losing his hair as a good enough reason for a lifelong feud with Superman and all he stood for.  Blaming Superman for the loss of the one world that idolized him, the normal life he could have led there, and his wife and son were far more credible for such everlasting hatred.

As Maggin explored the hair loss hatred and for anyone who's been ultra-self-conscious and vulnerable as a teenager, Siegel's motivation does indeed work.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L