superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Kryptonians Human?  (Read 18167 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 08:32:36 PM »

Getting back to the thread topic, a more key question to be answered is: What is human?

We have difficulties with that fundamental question already without invoking thoughts of extraterrestrials.

Women weren't considered equal or even human in many quarters and still are considered that way in some parts of the world today.

Blacks, Amerinds, and other non-whites weren't considered human to European colonizers before.

Down's Syndrome children are clearly sterile yet are also clearly human.

Much debate rages over the humanity of the unborn and at what point does 'human' life apply.

Since we don't have that fundamental definition nailed down, I guess Kryptonians can be or not be human depending on how one looks at it.

IOW, they can be both human and non-human depending on how one defines things.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 05:21:42 PM »

Exact reference from TOLSH #325:

Mon-El: I'll let you in on one of the galaxy's hidden secrets, Jo.  Kryptonians and Daxamites share the same genetic heritage ...
(page 6, panel 2)

Gigi Cusimano: You and him [Dev-Em] related?
White Witch: We are all products of planetary seeding, officer.  Naltorians can trace their line back ... to the Sorcerer's World, and even to Earth!
(page 6, panel 3 - 4)

Ultra Boy: Wow!  So, which one was the colony planet, Mon-El?  Krypton or Daxam?
(page 6, panel 5)

Mon-El: Well, I suppose we could be accused of chauvinism, but I was taught in school that Daxam is the parent world.
Dev-Em: Uhhhh [wakes up from kryptonite poisoning] ... No way, Mon-El.  I'm not claiming you as my long-lost Daddy.
(page 6, panel 6)

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2005, 12:30:28 AM »

Well, not to bring the spectre of Post-Crisis continuity into the discussion, but in the pre-reboot Legion and Valor titles it was presumed that Lar Gand help to seed certain distant worlds with survivors of the alien Dominators genetic tampering during the Invasion! crisis, thus paving the way for the contemporary planets and cultures of the 30th century legion. Thus, Valor/Lar Gand became a messianic figure, his Valor identity a deity to many people, so much so he had to take the martian term for Wanderer, M'onel. Yeah, yeah it's hokey post-crisis revisionism, but the essential premise isn't entirely unsound. It'd explain all those human-esque species out there as of the 30th century. Of course, how that factors in Rann and Thanagar is beyond me but hey, it's a start. Wink

"You will believe a man can fly."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L