superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman vs Vandal Savage  (Read 7722 times)
Maximara
Superman Family

« on: May 20, 2005, 12:37:26 AM »

I remember a Silver-Bronze Age Superman book where Vandal Savage (then an Earth-2 character) came to Earth-1 and set himself up as some sort of savior of humanity. He even created his own Superman robots. WHen Superman found out who created these robots he over reacts and destroyes them in front of the media saying 'If they are your creations then they are as evil and twisted as you' while Vandal is playing the wronged victim to the hilt.

Superman then get even more egg on his face when the media tried to research of the claims Superman about Vandel and can find nothing supporting the caiims (since Vandel's crimes were all commited on Earth-2). Vandal gets cocky and Superman finally tricks him into reavaling his plans to the media.

Anybody know what comic and issue #s this appeared in?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 03:12:22 AM »

This one?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 03:20:51 AM »

If memory serves me I do believe that Marv Wolfman Vandal Savage from this storyline as the model he would later basis the updated Lex Luthor.  

Personally I like the Savage on Earth 1 stories from this era - great twist on the immortal Vandal Savage who Superman and the JLA know is a super villian but the world at large has no idea.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 01:05:08 PM »

Quote from: "lastkryptonianhere"
If memory serves me I do believe that Marv Wolfman Vandal Savage from this storyline as the model he would later basis the updated Lex Luthor.  

Personally I like the Savage on Earth 1 stories from this era - great twist on the immortal Vandal Savage who Superman and the JLA know is a super villian but the world at large has no idea.

Which at times makes fighting the guy a real headache.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »

I have AC # 542, but I don't know how this storyline ends...
Great and hystorical issue: Superman leaves Lois and, after a brief time, begins to dating with Lana as Clark.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »

Heh.  I remember reading this issue at a supermarket (!) back in January 1983, and walking away VERY depressed.  

Superman and Lois broke up.  
An Earth-2 villian came to Earth-1 and managed to make a fool of Superman.  

I didn't read the whole series until the early '90's, but it ended in 1984 (right after they'd pretty much quit multi-part stories--this was about the only hold-over).  Batman and Robin were called in and helped Superman out in the final chapter.  Vandal Savage escaped to parts unknown, but the world had learned of his true nature first.  

Fun story, overall.  Wink  

Gernot...

SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 12:59:03 PM »

I always likes the old Vandal Savage stories. he seemed more like a guy 1000's of years old who really had tons of experience back then. Such a smooth operator.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 05:33:01 PM »

Quote from: "Gernot"

I didn't read the whole series until the early '90's, but it ended in 1984 (right after they'd pretty much quit multi-part stories--this was about the only hold-over).  Batman and Robin were called in and helped Superman out in the final chapter.  Vandal Savage escaped to parts unknown, but the world had learned of his true nature first.  

Thank you.
I'll buy these issues, someday. Obviously they're unpublished in Italy...

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L