superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman vs Vandal Savage  (Read 7543 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 06:43:26 PM »

I remember a Justice Society of America modern story with the Earth-2 Superman and Vandal Savage.  Savage's supposed immortality was fading so he conspired to steal Kal-L's super-lifeforce to restore it.  Despite the evident aging of this Superman, the implication was he was immortal.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »

I remember that story. It's of my favorites. I read with my 8 year old again a few months ago. Vandal had them traveling through time and it ended up in a hand to hand fight with Supes using energy he was leeching from Power Girl ( the real Power Girl not the confused present inposter.)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 01:02:09 PM »

That story had INCREDIBLE artwork by Wally Wood, too!  (One of my favorite MAD artists!)  

I think that two-parter was his last JSA work (his last DC job?).

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 06:51:48 PM »

Quote from: "SteamTeck"
I remember that story. It's of my favorites. I read with my 8 year old again a few months ago. Vandal had them traveling through time and it ended up in a hand to hand fight with Supes using energy he was leeching from Power Girl ( the real Power Girl not the confused present inposter.)

Got that right, SteamTeck.

Not only was Savage cheating by using Power Girl to power himself, but the planet he set up the fight on had a kryptonite sun which was depowering and killing Superman.  Vandal took every advantage he could.  If the JSA hadn't freed Power Girl and Star-Spangled Kid hadn't whipped up a protective suit from the K-radiation, Kal-L would've been soundly defeated and dead.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 12:48:45 AM »

Dang! Those were great stories! modern stuff for all it's "serious " nature just doesn't measure up IMO.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 12:52:57 AM »

That was from the time when superheroes could be SERIOUS, without being GRIM.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L