superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:17:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Is it Canonical?" game....  (Read 10535 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 10:23:37 PM »

As I said above ...

Quote from: "Captain Kal"

But they were brought into continuity by the Superwoman/Kristin Wells stories.  Said issues made Miracle Monday canon.  Miracle Monday had references to Last Son of Krypton which made that canon, too.

Maggin's novels are in canon.  But not because he's such an integral part of the SA.  It's because the comics directly reference his novels that they're canon.

Certainly, Fleischer's encyclopedia clearly stuck to the published comics and didn't consider anything outside of them to be canon.  The comics-referencing-Maggin's-novels reasoning the same kind of rationale for inclusion.

The radio shows, movies, etc. wouldn't be canon since they aren't directly referenced in the comics.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 12:48:49 AM »

Certainly, Fleischer's encyclopedia clearly stuck to the published comics and didn't consider anything outside of them to be canon.

And yet some managed to sneak in:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Michael_L._Fleisher_of_Earth-Prime

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 02:43:55 AM »

True...but Michael Fleisher was mentioned in Miracle Monday.

Cheesy That picture's funny...I need a copy of The Great Superman Book, but don't have the 60 bucks that they want on Amazon.com. Anyone feeling charitable today?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 04:16:35 PM »

My dogeared copy is a family heirloom.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 01:40:21 PM »

I think that makes sense, (the explanation about why Maggin's novels are canonical) and pretty much answers my questions. Miracle Monday is mentioned at least 3 times in the comics, and refers to LSOK and the events of Luthor's Gift.
If at least some of the radio adventures happened to Superman of Earth-2, then the 1942 novel could be canonical...but I haven't read it yet and can't make that determination. Roger Stern's novels, on the other hand....definitely not. They don't include Superboy in the origin.

Another thing that should eventually be discussed (though we have plenty of sources to cover right now) is whether to eventually include Justice League of America comics.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 09:12:04 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

Certainly, Fleischer's encyclopedia clearly stuck to the published comics and didn't consider anything outside of them to be canon.

And yet some managed to sneak in:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Michael_L._Fleisher_of_Earth-Prime

Heh heh

I forgot about that joke Anderson pic in TGSB.

That was clearly an in-joke and not to be taken as a serious reference in Fleischer's encyclopedia.  Michael wrote as if Superman's adventures occurred in the real world and didn't distinguish between the various eras, the Earth-1 vs Earth-2 models, or the modern vs golden age Supermen.  He treated the whole super-history as if it were the same character throughout and lived in our world.  Alternate worlds were not invoked unless they were a specific element of a particular story.

That having been said, if we're following Fleischer's lead on this, the JLA sources might be questionable since they did distinguish between the Earth-1 and Earth-2 Supermen.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 04:56:22 AM »

Of course, since Earth-2 references in the 70s books are canonical, multiverse articles now abound in Supermanica, although the initial Fleisher Superman article still stands as a major work of scholarship.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 05:12:44 PM »

Very good point, Telle.  Fleischer seemed to cut his book off just before the 1970s, though he did include a pic or two of the 1970s Lois but no actual story references after the 1960s.  I suspect he ran out of time and had to produce something publishable esp. since this coincided with the first Superman movie with Reeves.

Given as you reminded me that alternate world versions of Superman are indeed referenced in the Bronze Age superbooks, I can see no logical reason anymore to omit the Justice League/Justice Society references.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L