superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kryptonese  (Read 7538 times)
debussy
Superman Fan

« on: March 20, 2003, 05:00:05 PM »

For anyone interested, I have started a little pet project on fleshing out Kryptonese based on the characters in the transliteration guide (as opposed to the the language done by Al Turniansky). So far I have the alphabet done with proper pronunciation. I'll be getting the grammatical rules up there as I get it done... I already have some great ideas that just need implimenting. :wink:

You can check out my progress at:
http://inventurous.net/kryptonese/

I welcome any input...
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 04:12:14 PM »

It looks great, all I can say is I hope you keep up the good work.

The characters in the Transliteration guide have been used in comics for a while now.  But whenever you de-code them, the original text is written in English.  In one issue of Loeb's Superman, they spelled out "KAL-EL'S ROCKET" on the side of Kal-El's rocket.

This used to bother me a bit, I thought there should be a real Kryptonian language like we saw in use back in the 1970s.  But then I realized that since Superman started out as an American Icon, it kind of made sense for Kryptonian to be represented as a re-coded version of American English.

But I still think the idea of a Kryptonian language is pretty neat.  And I'd certainly rather know Kryptonian  than Klingon.  At least, I'd rather know a Kryptonian based on the pre-Byrne Krypton, ie, the same Kryptonian that Superman knows. Cool

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
debussy
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 11:57:05 PM »

Thanks for the support... I think that actual Kryptonian words / vocabulary would be the dead-last thing to happen (I don't even know if I would be capable - I'm sure there are linguists out there that would have more fun with that  :wink: ) Right now I'm still just using English to develop the writing rules and grammar.

I have also taken a look at the numbers in the official font and think that they stink. I would like to completely redo those... does anyone have an opinion on that?
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 10:35:26 AM »

I have also taken a look at the numbers in the official font and think that they stink. I would like to completely redo those... does anyone have an opinion on that?

I really don't know where those numbers came from.  I know that the Transliteration Guide is "official" (ie, it was published by the folks at DC Comics) but I don't think that the font is official.  It may just be fan created.  One of the creators of the font is Steve Younis, the webmaster of http://www.supermanhomepage.com/ and although the font is not labelled as official (I don't know about the Mac, but the credits for the PC version read, "Created by Omega Design: Michael Lee and Steven Younis 9-12-00"), he is in communication with the people at DC.  So you may want to ask him what's official in the font and what isn't.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
debussy
Superman Fan

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 03:48:45 PM »

Well - I've already redone the numbers, and am currently working on the feasibility of doing math with a 1-10 character system (as opposed to our 0-9 system). It's been fun and annoying at the same time :wink:
debussy
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 07:07:30 AM »

Alright - added numbers to the site, and made a couple of other changes.

http://inventurous.net/kryptonese/[/url]
Buc-El
Superman Fan

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 04:40:18 PM »

debussy, will you be creating a font as well? If you know how, or know someone who could make one with your alphabet, that would be greatly appreciated by many.

Forget ye not Bibbo & Beppo!

www.herouniverse.com
Lomd
Supermen of America

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 08:26:44 AM »

What about Interlac?  I have seen references to it here and there
in pre-Crisis comics (most recently on the Gil Kane annual featuring
Brainiac and a whole planet of followers), but I never learned any
backstory on the language; all I know is that many different alien
species talk it.  Anyone got more info?

Thanks,
                Luis Dantas.