superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman - Mutant?  (Read 7828 times)
Maximara
Superman Family

« on: May 28, 2005, 05:38:05 AM »

Superman #307-309 (1977) has to be one of the stranger stories I vaguely recall. In it Supergirl along with the Kandorians cook up this half baked idea to convince Superman that he and Supergirl are really human mutants because Superman has gone into hyper enviromentalism mode. How exactly this is supposed to get Superman out of his hyper enviromentalism mode is not really explained and this results is Superman basicly abandoning the rest of the cosmos for Earth.

Is it just me or do the Kandorians and Supergirl come of as a few cards shy of a full deck in this story or is my memory a little faulty?
VRLowKey
Superman Fan

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 09:12:20 AM »

I recall that it was 'Kryptonian Psychology' to eliminate painful memories by eliminating the reality.  It seemed really strange to me, too, and I can only guess that the editors were away on vacation when those issues were published.
  I think they were trying to get to a 'What If' story, unfortunately they didn't get there.
 Nobody's Prefect
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 10:57:42 AM »

Quote from: "VRLowKey"
I recall that it was 'Kryptonian Psychology' to eliminate painful memories by eliminating the reality.  It seemed really strange to me, too, and I can only guess that the editors were away on vacation when those issues were published.
  I think they were trying to get to a 'What If' story, unfortunately they didn't get there.

It certainly was weird though it does sound like some of the nonsense some psycologists had at the time which seemed to create more problems than it solved. Also I did not understand how the whole thing could be kept going - how do you explain Kryptonite for example the Phantom Zone, and the dozens of other things connected to Krypton?

Also while the shared universe was a lot more compartmentalized then it is now all it would have take was one person like Hal or Hyperman would have blown the whole plan to smitherenes. Heck even Batman and Robin knew where Krypton was (To Kill a Legend).  Then you have the matter of after all this time coping why did the Kandorians and Supergirl desided to play with poor Kal-El's mind.
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 06:02:30 PM »

Well it wasn't the best Superman story of that era but the Jose Luis Garcia Lopez art was amazing.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 03:52:32 PM »

Well, as you said, it does fall apart when you think it through.  That's exactly what happened in the third part when Superman wondered where his indestructible costume came from, about Krypto, and why Supergirl kept calling him 'cousin' when his mutant origin story meant they weren't related at all.

But the thing that I thought they were going for to explain these inconsistencies was an older concept Maggin (?) introduced about his super-power of suggestion.  Luthor once took advantage of this to make Superman believe he had the power to turn him back into Superboy with a gadget when he apparently did so to Batman and the Flash.  Ordinary people can be hypnotized into believing something has happened that didn't.  Superman's mind is so powerful that whatever he believes is made into reality.  So, if he believed he could be turned into Superboy, then he turned into Superboy in fact.  By refusing to accept this reality anymore, he returned to being Superman and beat Luthor soundly.

I thought it was an interesting plot device Maggin created to explain the plotholes and inconsistencies of the Bronze/Silver Age.  At least Kal's -- or any other super-mind like Kara's -- was fudging with reality at least on a local scale.  So, the costume, for example, was indestructible because his super-mind made it so with a false history for it being so.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:38:44 AM »

Now that I really don't like, omnipotent beings aren't interesting. Interesting way to tie up the loose ends though.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 02:51:14 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Well, as you said, it does fall apart when you think it through.  That's exactly what happened in the third part when Superman wondered where his indestructible costume came from, about Krypto, and why Supergirl kept calling him 'cousin' when his mutant origin story meant they weren't related at all.

But the thing that I thought they were going for to explain these inconsistencies was an older concept Maggin (?) introduced about his super-power of suggestion.  Luthor once took advantage of this to make Superman believe he had the power to turn him back into Superboy with a gadget when he apparently did so to Batman and the Flash.  Ordinary people can be hypnotized into believing something has happened that didn't.  Superman's mind is so powerful that whatever he believes is made into reality.  So, if he believed he could be turned into Superboy, then he turned into Superboy in fact.  By refusing to accept this reality anymore, he returned to being Superman and beat Luthor soundly.

The super-hypnotism was used as a way to explain why if people having pictures of Suerman and Clark Kent side by side could not spot the simularities. Seemed Superman created a Super-hypnotism effect when wearing his Clark Kent glasses that was so powerful that it extended to photos.

On a side note I vaguely remember a story where Superman is trying to reveal his secret id and this kid will not believe him. While not mentioned the plot device of the Super-hypnotism come up when trying to convince the kid he is Superman Lois runs in and open up his shirt to reveal Superman's costume. At which point she berates Clark Kent for pretending to be Superman!

At wits end Superman asks what will prove that he is Clark Kent and the kid askes of all things to see Kent's bathroom. He opens up the medicine cabinet and finding it empty say now believes because Superman would not need things a normal man would have in his medicine cabinet like shaving cream, razor, medicine for the occational illness and so on. I think the kid wad related to Pete Ross but it has been so long I'm not sure.
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:02:08 PM »

Quote from: "Maximara"
Superman #307-309 (1977) has to be one of the stranger stories I vaguely recall. In it Supergirl along with the Kandorians cook up this half baked idea to convince Superman that he and Supergirl are really human mutants because Superman has gone into hyper enviromentalism mode. How exactly this is supposed to get Superman out of his hyper enviromentalism mode is not really explained and this results is Superman basicly abandoning the rest of the cosmos for Earth.

Is it just me or do the Kandorians and Supergirl come of as a few cards shy of a full deck in this story or is my memory a little faulty?

This story was by Gerry Conway. Conway had written some pretty decent stuff in earlier years but at this point he was basically just a hack who was writing about half the DC line, seemingly putting into print any half-baked idea that came into his mind.

Julie Schwarz should've known better, though. Oh well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L