superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman - Mutant?  (Read 7801 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 05:11:41 PM »

I stand corrected on the 'super-power of suggestion' reference.  Cary Bates was the author not Maggin.  It was in Action Comics #466.

The story "The Master Mesmerizer of Metropolis!" was by Martin Pasko based on a story concept by Al Schroeder III.  That story stated that Kal's super-hypnosis power was always on at a low-power which was amplified by the peculiar characteristics of his Kryptonian-glasses.  This isn't quite the same thing as it was projecting outwards the image he wanted to be seen as.

The Bates story about 'super-power of suggestion' meant his super-mind was altering physical reality itself instead of just the perception of it.  My suspicion was Cary was trying to create a plot device to explain all the continuity gaffes in the supermythos of that time, and perhaps extend this to the DCU in general.

Both of the above story concepts were never revisited, were one-shot wonders, and seem to have been retconned out of existence in the Mopee tradition of just ignoring they ever happened. (Mopee being the supposed 'real' reason Barry/Flash got his super-speed.)

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 06:52:41 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
The Bates story about 'super-power of suggestion' meant his super-mind was altering physical reality itself instead of just the perception of it.  My suspicion was Cary was trying to create a plot device to explain all the continuity gaffes in the supermythos of that time, and perhaps extend this to the DCU in general.

I can certainly understand why they wouldn't have wanted to keep that. If Superman had such a power then eventually he'd figure out a way to control it. While this would lead to some interesting story ideas, it would radically change the nature of the series. We expect Supey to punch the bad guys, not to alter their physical reality by the power of his mind.

In a similar vein, I remember a Jack C. Harris Supergirl story in which SG quite unconsciously (and one would assume telepathically) used her super-vision to hypnotize a male interest, making him become a super-villain. Not surprisingly, they let that one die quietly as well.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 01:58:53 AM »

I haven't read the story in question, but the premise of Superman actually being something different than he thinks is a good idea. It's one of the reasons that I liked Alan Moore's run on Miracleman.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 11:55:50 AM »

Quote from: "NotSuper"
I haven't read the story in question, but the premise of Superman actually being something different than he thinks is a good idea. It's one of the reasons that I liked Alan Moore's run on Miracleman.

Well the idea is an old one. Remember it was not until 1949 that the Golden Age Superman found out he was from Krypton so until then he just knew he had the special abilities.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 03:29:07 PM »

This trilogy is one of my favourite pre-Crisis stories. I remember when I have read part 2 two years ago... It was very odd. Superman human? Impossible, obviously, but I liked to see him with Lois acting like a normal person. I didn't know it yet, but it was the sequel of a sub plot started with "Who took out the Super from Superman?", then ended with the Amalak saga. I have bought parts 1 and 3 months ago, so I have discovered the truth about this story (it was only a Supergirl's hoax)... Yeah, I really like it. Even because there are José Luis Garcia Lopez artworks! He is one of the best super heroes artists ever.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L