superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:20:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Frontier wins Reuben  (Read 7029 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 05, 2005, 08:17:14 AM »

http://spiltink.dreamhost.com/blogs/2005_06_01_oldSequentials.html#111794636147649852

Good news for fans of retro graphics and the Silver Age Superman:

Comic Book Category Winner
(BM)
Canadian cartoonist Darwyn Cooke was announced as the winner of the 2004 Reuben Award for comic books. The awards were handed out in a ceremony at the National Cartoonists Society gathering in Scottsdale, Ariz. on May 28. Cooke won for his comic book miniseries/graphic novel The New Frontier.

The Reubens are awarded annually by the NCS. The main award, Cartoonist of the Year, is a small statuette designed in 1954 by former Society president Rube Goldberg (1883-1970 --Goldberg won his own award in 1967 as well as winning a Pulitzer in 1948). Cooke's award takes a different form, as indicated by this description from the Reubens press release: "Cartoonists in various professional divisions were also honored with special plaques for excellence. These awards are voted on by a combination of the general membership (by secret ballot) and special juries overseen by various NCS Regional Chapters."

Cooke and his book have also been nominated for several other U.S. awards this year, including an Eisner and a Harvey Award.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 04:54:19 AM »

Got part 1 of 2 part TPC-Love it! Love it! Love it!

Part 2 is sold out - dammit! :twisted:
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 01:47:45 AM »

New Frontier is incredible stuff. Well worth the wait Klar. Of course, if you want me to let slip with some spoilers I can hook you up. . . Wink  :twisted:

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 07:29:10 PM »

Quote from: "Defender"
New Frontier is incredible stuff. Well worth the wait Klar. Of course, if you want me to let slip with some spoilers I can hook you up. . . Wink  :twisted:

-Def.

NO SPOLIERS PUH LEEEEEEZ!!!! :shock:  :wink:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 11:28:08 PM »

Great cover, there are some rumors that DC might collect them both as a hardcover, though that rumor is just that and has not been cofirmed.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 01:40:46 AM »

What a fantastic cover, and well-realized in its modern ability to reproduce color and shading and still portray characters without being steroidal impossible fan boy wish fullfillment... Cool
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 06:17:24 AM »

Finally got part 2 and darn it - read it in one sitting and yes - tears came.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 09:08:44 AM »

Was it the Kennedy speech that got you,  Klar Ken T5477?  I remember choking up as I read that, since it so appropriately described the Superhero Silver Age, as well as the confident optimism of the time.  And then I thought about what eventually happened to both the Silver Age and "Camelot"...  :cry:

And did you like that conclusion?  I almost cheered when I saw old "You Know Who" and the heroes arriving.  I expected HIM to show up sometime in the book, but that final moment had perfect dramatic impact -- as "DC: The New Frontier" almost seamlessly merges into DC's Silver Age continuity.  

If DC really intends to create a Multiverse post-Infintie Crisis, PLEASE let "DC: The New Frontier" be the official origin for the new "Earth-2".  You can't ask for a better "world-building" origin saga.

DTO
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L