superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Age is back!  (Read 4445 times)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« on: June 05, 2005, 01:50:19 PM »

On sale in september:

At last we have... the "DC ESSENTIALS"!

500 pages, black and white tpbs chronologically reprinting the Silver Age stories of Superman, Green Lantern, JLA, Jonah Hex and Mertamorpho (but this is only the beginning).

I'm very glad for this, I'll buy those reprints.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 06:41:10 PM »

Nice GOIN', Genis!  

Ya forgot to put in a LINK!   :lol:

Now, I'm gonna have to search out that article!  

Seriously, THANKS for letting us know about this!  I can't wait to get me grubby li'l hands on this schtuff!  

Gernot...

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 03:02:24 AM »

Here's the link:

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/pulse.cgi?http%3A//www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi%3Fubb%3Dget_topic%26f%3D36%26t%3D003846

Good news for those of us on a budget...I've got a lot of diapers to buy! (For the kids, not me...I'm not THAT old).  I'd still prefer my SA Superman in color Archives, but I'll probably break down and get these TPBs as well.  If nothing else, they'll be good for my boys to read...better than trusting them with pricey Archives. Cheesy

Metamorpho and GL are good news, too...I like their stuff, but certainly not enough to pay full Archive prices.

If this takes off, maybe we'll see some of the more obscure cool stuff from the past, or stuff that was too "iffy" to risk doing an Archive of.  Stuff like Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane, great old strips like Sea Devils, Atomic Knights, Captain Comet and the like.  Maybe some done-in-one Bronze stuff like Freedom Fighters and Secret Society of Super-Villains and the 70s "All-Star" issues.  

This really does open the door to some great possibilities.  Marvel's "Essentials" line really got interesting for me when it delved into stuff like "Tomb Of Dracula" and "Marvel Team-Up."  This could be our chance to see some old DC gems in a similar vein...good reads that never had the sales appeal or big names to be reprinted before.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 04:51:53 AM »

While this means that #1 will include everything that was in the Superman Archive. The Archive is 234 pages, so this will still be worth getting even if you have that one. I know I shall get a copy Cheesy

More ideas..

Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, and Superboy DC Showcase Presents would be great!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:52:56 AM »

Thanks for the link, Nightwing!  

I'LL be getting a copy of this book, and probably a Batman one when that comes out.  I wanna get a World's Finest, too!  Wink

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 01:45:39 PM »

I hesitated on the "Dynamic Duo" Archives and I'm glad I did.  I found a copy in my local library and, well let's just say the Silver Age wasn't as great for Batman as it was for some other characters.  Even so, 16 bucks for 500 pages is a phenomenal deal, so if they give Bats the treatment (and why wouldn't they) I'll probably purchase it in this format.

"World's Finest" would be great to have out in this format, if for no other reason than that it would expose the material to kids again.  But honestly this is one property I only want in Archives...it's just too beautiful in color! For my money, those old Swan and Sprang issues are the whole reason Archives were invented.  Smiley

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L