superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help tracking down a trade  (Read 3792 times)
Zeez
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: June 05, 2005, 11:14:53 PM »

Hey all,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't mistakenly do something wrong.  What I am trying to locate is a trade an old friend of mine had a long time ago.  What follows will contain spoilers, as I guess I need to indicate parts of the story in order to spark some recognition, but first I will put all the non spoiler info i can remember:

It seemed to be a bunch of short stories, though the general trend was a breakdown of Supermans life.  The art was all black and white, and the cover was a silhouetted superman with perhaps gold lettering, or something small in gold (maybe the S?) on it.  APpearances by the Swamp Thing, Bizzaro, Toy Master, Mongol, batman, robin, wonder woman, perry white, elastic lad, etc ... lotta things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Swamp thing story had superman get a disease from some meteorite, or something.  He kept hallucinating about a jungle back on krypton

Mongol/batman/wonder-woman crossover had mongol send some parasitic plant to superman, and he kept having nightmares of an alternate life on krypton where his family was falling apart.

rest of the stories I think dealt with all his enemies attacking him, his family and friends... even bizzaro came to earth and said that for him to be hte perfect opposite of superman he had to kill people, and be dead himself.  In the end, superman takes some ppl to his fortress and has a final fight with everyone (elastic boy/lad and some supergirl type girl die, so does his dog, luthor and some others) and it is revealed that MXYZPTLK is the one behind everything.  In the end, superman is forced to kill him, and then as penance exposes himself to kryptonite and walks out into the cold by himself.

---------------------------------------------------------

It was really great stuff, I felt... but I can't seem to find it when i look for superman trades online. If anyone can help, that would be great!  

Thanks in advance,

Z

i
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »

You seem to be an Alan Moore fan without even knowning it Smiley Alan Moore is one of my favorite comic book writers ever.

He wrote all three classic tales.

The Mongol and Swamp Thing stories can be found here in the Across the Universe: The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore which has both of those tales plus many more from Alan Moore, so you should dig it.

The final story was the final Classic Superman tale, that can be had in the
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? book.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 02:18:24 PM »

I seem to remember that all the Alan Moore Superman stories were collected in a trade paperback that was only published in England.  Sounds like that's what your friend had.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 08:35:46 PM »

Here's some more info on it:
Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Titan 1-85286-049-9, May 1988, £5.95, 120pp, tp) [Superman] Collection of three graphic short stories about Superman set in the 'old' DC Universe (before everything changed), with a (very brief) foreword by Brian Aldiss and an introduction by Neil Gaiman. (Black and White) artwork by Dave Gibbons, Rick Veitch, Curt Swan, Kurt Schaffenberger & George Perez

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:51:08 AM »

Alan Moore wrote three?  :shock:

I have "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and "For the Man Who Has Everthing." What's the third, and  where did it appear?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 02:43:37 AM »

Quote from: "Zeez"
Swamp thing story had superman get a disease from some meteorite, or something. He kept hallucinating about a jungle back on krypton

Quote from: "Gangbuster"
What's the third, and where did it appear?

This story is "The Jungle Line" from DC Comics Presents #85 (Sept. 1985), and it was reprinted in The Greatest Team-Up Stories Ever Told.

And "For the Man Who Has Everthing" was reprinted in The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told.
Zeez
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 03:53:31 AM »

Great, thank you all for the info.  It's a shame I may not be able to find a trade version of it if it was only available by order from england.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L