superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Superboy moved a solar system by dragging it on a chain  (Read 11491 times)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« on: June 06, 2005, 06:46:43 AM »

Can anyone point me to a scan of this event? I'd be ever so grateful.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 01:04:11 AM »

I remember that but I can't remember the story it was attcged to. I think somealien Superkid came to challenge anf defeat Kal  and they ended up on his home world with bo yellow sun but no red either but I could be mixing memories. I dig through my old Superboys but I'm not organized. :oops:
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »

I don't believe any scans of this exist on the internet.  The closest link I could find was a description of the event in the below LSH link.

http://members.shaw.ca/legion_roll_call/legionnaires/superboy/

Superboy has pulled a chain of a dozen worlds from their own dying galaxy to new suns at the other side of the universe, saving billions of lives (Superboy #140, July 1967).

I've not read the original but given the internet references, the story may have been called "The Wizard of Odds".  The other story in that issue was "Beware the Mad Dog of Steel" which I suspect was not the one in question.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 03:54:35 PM »

I can confirm that it was Superboy #140, and it was the "Wizard of Odds" story. However, the event was not central to the story. On the first page of the story, he was in the process of moving some planets away from their dying sun and relocating them, when he saw a green comet. Kryptonian space explorers had a superstition about green comets being bad luck, and the story progressed from there.

I could possibly provide a scan of this, but I know that the site is really backed up with scans right now...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:37:30 PM »

I assume he was just shown *casually* (vs. physically struggling) to move a whole *chain* of planets to another galaxy?

Hmm... this *almost* makes me want to believe those who say Superman might've been *too* powerful in the Silver Age  (maybe the planets were "lightweight" compared to Earth, or something...) ;-)

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
I assume he was just shown *casually* (vs. physically struggling) to move a whole *chain* of planets to another galaxy?

Hmm... this *almost* makes me want to believe those who say Superman might've been *too* powerful in the Silver Age  (maybe the planets were "lightweight" compared to Earth, or something...) ;-)

Well, those planets MIGHT have been gas giants...  :wink:

Then again, we're also talking about events that were subconsciously "relayed" to Earth-Prime and then transcribed by comic book writers and artists.  I'm sure some technical details got "lost in translation" or were simplified to suit the medium and intended audience.  So it didn't QUITE happen that way...

DTO
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:11:15 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

Well, those planets MIGHT have been gas giants...  :wink:

Then again, we're also talking about events that were subconsciously "relayed" to Earth-Prime and then transcribed by comic book writers and artists.  I'm sure some technical details got "lost in translation" or were simplified to suit the medium and intended audience.  So it didn't QUITE happen that way...

Ah, of course...

SUPERMAN: (While visiting Earth-Prime and seeing this Superboy-chain-of-planets tale) Oh, for Rao's *sake*---I'm not *THAT* powerful! Besides, they were all *gas giants* with the residents living in hovering cities... whose idea was this?

WRITER: Well, um, I was late to work that morning, and was close to deadline, and...

SUPERMAN: Oh, right. The "d" word. Uh... if you'll excuse me, I've got to get going....very, um, "busy" back on Earth-One... (thinking) Great scott! Forgot *I* have a column due, too!

:-)

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 08:49:27 PM »

wouldn't it take more power to move a gas giant (like jupiter or saturn), than it would take to move a planet like earth?  Actually i think silver-age Superman is that powerful.  According to some stories he was able to move stars.  He was able to destroy entire solar systems with ease.  His superbreath can extinguish stars.  His heat vision can reignite a dying star, or make a healthy star go nova (or even super-nova).  Why would he have to strain to move earth?  When he is on earth his "holding back" reflex has him using a tiny portion of his full power.  Keep in mind that all Kryptonians & Daxamites have his level of power, when they are under a yellow sun.  Even a child (of either species) could cause untold destruction.  Who would want the crushing responsibility of such power?  Would explain why most Kryptonians & Daxamites prefer to live in red sun systems.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L