superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About the New Gods  (Read 3066 times)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« on: June 07, 2005, 09:13:58 PM »

Do the New Gods know Superman's secret identity? In post-Crisis era Darkseid discovered it during the LEGENDS crossover (see SUPERMAN Vol. II #3), and in JACK KIRBY'S FOURTH WORLD #20 (remake of the first Superman/Forever People meeting) the Highfather revealed to know the Man of Steel's origin. Does anyone else in Apokolips and New Genesis know the truth?

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Moonrider
Superman Fan

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:29:52 PM »

What?  The vile Darkseid know Superman's secret identity?  I don't believe it.

Highfather knows all.

Superman is Superman.  Anything else is just a silly game.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 07:51:56 AM »

Good question.  I'm only familiar with the Kirby canon so I can't say.  I know during kirby's initial run the New Gods thought Clark and Supes were separate.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 08:35:21 AM »

Quote from: "Mark Moonrider"
What?  The vile Darkseid know Superman's secret identity?  I don't believe it.

Yeah, it happened in this issue.

The story: in the streets of Metropolis Clark Kent is followed by Omega Beams (?) and escapes in the sewers. Then the rays hit him, and he arrives in Apokolips. The Hunger dogs steal his clothes, and he remains with only his costume. Darkseid has observed all these scenes alongside the Phantom Stranger (who already knew Superman's secret identity, see ACTION COMICS #585 for details).
Because you don't know this storyline, I'll tell you the rest of it: Superman fights in Apokolips against Darkseid's soldiers, but during the fight he falls into a flaming pit. With Darkseid laughing, the issue ends.
The story continue in ADVENTURES #427: Superman is still alive (the pits should destroy everything), but he has lost his memory. Amazing Grace finds him and uses her powers to suggest him to become the leader of the Hunger Dogs. Under his guide, they will be free, at last. Besides, Wolfman make us understand that Superman has his first sexual experience (with Amazing Grace; argh). During the battle against Darkseid's Parademons Superman turns against his fellows and joins with Darkseid. He was only pretending to save the Hunger dogs, and since the beginning he and Grace were Darkseid's allies. The conclusion is in AC #586: Orion and Lightray go in Apokolips to save Superman, and they do; using Mother Box, they restore Superman's memory and the Man of Steel goes to fight against Darkseid. The lord of Apokolips, beaten, sends him back on Earth.
Orion tells Lightray that he'll never reveal the truth to Superman: he is not a simple hero... He is a legend, and knowing what he has done in Apokolips would be too tragic to him.

This was a good story, but I never liked to know Superman having sex with a villain like Amazing Grace and he causing the death of hundreds, too.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 02:15:12 PM »

That story's as bad as I remembered it.  Byrne and Wolfman's re-boot stumbled right out of the gate.

Sad

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L