superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What PAD wanted to do after #80  (Read 13961 times)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:49:55 AM »

Checking Peter David's blog archives, I located the original post:

http://peterdavid.malibulist.com/archives/2003_03.html

According to PAD, "Blonde Justice" would have been the "S" title's equivalent of "Birds of Prey", with Linda taking on the identity of "Superwoman" and Kara claiming (REclaiming?) the title of "Supergirl".

There's 69 comments to this posting, most thanking PAD for his 80-issue run and mourning the loss of this title.  It makes an interesting read now that some time has passed, Cir-El has vanished, a completely new Kara has arrived, and "Fallen Angel" has been cancelled.  

One suspects Peter David has VERY mixed emotions concerning the new Kara -- he can rightfully claim that the response to "Many Happy Returns" paved the way for a Kryptonian cousin's return, but it's a pretty bittersweet "victory" when his Linda Lee Danvers (and now Lee the Fallen Angel) are now exiled to Limbo, and the new Kara shares nothing with PAD's storyline.

DTO
Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 11:48:09 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
One suspects Peter David has VERY mixed emotions concerning the new Kara -- he can rightfully claim that the response to "Many Happy Returns" paved the way for a Kryptonian cousin's return, but it's a pretty bittersweet "victory" when his Linda Lee Danvers (and now Lee the Fallen Angel) are now exiled to Limbo, and the new Kara shares nothing with PAD's storyline.

Well, I'm sure David will survive it.

I have had my fill of stupid creators whose ego is bigger then their love for any given character.

(Remember John Byrne, for instance? He recreated the Man of Steel. Many years later, there was a fight between Thor and a version of Supes, which was based on Byrne's version. And just because Byrne decidet that Supes was less powerful then Thor, he's spending his days even now whining at Kurt Busieck because he "let" Supes win. Just because it didn't FIT his Zombie Vision.

He would rather have Supes going down to Thor then seeing anything in print which contradicted his ideas. SOME ego.  :roll:

Since the day I found out, I lost every shred of respect for Byrne.  :evil: )
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 06:21:46 AM »

Quote from: "Beyonder"
(Remember John Byrne, for instance? He recreated the Man of Steel. Many years later, there was a fight between Thor and a version of Supes, which was based on Byrne's version. And just because Byrne decidet that Supes was less powerful then Thor, he's spending his days even now whining at Kurt Busieck because he "let" Supes win. Just because it didn't FIT his Zombie Vision.

He would rather have Supes going down to Thor then seeing anything in print which contradicted his ideas. SOME ego.  :roll:

Since the day I found out, I lost every shred of respect for Byrne.  :evil: )

:lol:  just as an aside....you know, if you go by what has been written as far as Supes strengths and weaknesses.....he SHOULD have lost to Thor  :lol:   One smack from that MAGICAL hammer should have done it.  And Thor is a "god" after all.

Of course, it couldn't happen.  

Just out of curiosity...has Supes EVER lost in one of those cross company crossover battles?  I sincerely hope not.

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 08:46:57 AM »

Quote from: "Dylan Clearbrook"

:lol:  just as an aside....you know, if you go by what has been written as far as Supes strengths and weaknesses.....he SHOULD have lost to Thor  :lol:   One smack from that MAGICAL hammer should have done it.  And Thor is a "god" after all.
Dylan

Dream on, Traitor.  Tongue

But, seriously... "Thor is a god", what does that mean? It means that Thor's an extra-dimensional alien - just like Supes is an extraterrestrial alien - , who's got a "magic hammer" which can make bad weather and has a stable full of GOATS who can traverse space and other dimensions.  :?:

Oooooooooh, I'm just so impressed by this "Powerhouse"...  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Or, to put it a little LESS biased: if one could cal somebody like Thor an "god"-- what should we call Supes??

Besides, remember the first Thor/Hyperion fight from an OLD Avengers issue? If Thor jobs to a character which is slightly above Mighty Mouse level, yer better not expect him to go up against even a "Byrned" Superman, and "win" anything but a spanking.  Smiley

(Speaking of which: even the "Byrned Superman had his Super Speed; what defenses does Thor have against THAT? I'm sorry, Dylan, but Kurt WASN'T biased:Supes really IS more likely to win against Thor then vice versa.)

Just out of curiosity...has Supes EVER lost in one of those cross company crossover battles?  I sincerely hope not.

Dylan

Well, no. Not unless you assume the Superman/Venom fight valid in any way. That might be the cheapest writing I ever saw.

But there was also the encounter between Mr. Majestic and "electric" Superman from the JLA/Wildcats one-shot.

But it's kinda an special case: we never saw EXCACTLY how their fight turned out, but after the fight, Supes was noticably subdued and unwilling to directly opposing Majestic's will. Such as when Majestic told Supes that he'll take a member of the JLA for every member of the Wildcats lost in battle against the Lord of Time.

Now, at the time that oneshot came out, I hadn't idea one who Majestic was; but I still had the very strong feeling at that Time that Supes was decisively aand humilatingly LOST to that creep in silver "dance on tables"-boots.  :evil:
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 11:13:35 AM »

Back at ya  Tongue  :mrgreen:

But, seriously... "Thor is a god", what does that mean? It means that Thor's an extra-dimensional alien - just like Supes is an extraterrestrial alien - , who's got a "magic hammer" which can make bad weather and has a stable full of GOATS who can traverse space and other dimensions.  :?:

LOL I have to be careful on this one...I have friends that pray to Thor ( :lol: not the comic version  :lol: )

But I have to say I like that description....it takes him down from godhood.

(Speaking of which: even the "Byrned Superman had his Super Speed; what defenses does Thor have against THAT? I'm sorry, Dylan, but Kurt WASN'T biased:Supes really IS more likely to win against Thor then vice versa.)

I actually thought of that while I was writing my original response but decided not to address it....after all...why question if I'm going to answer myself instantly  :lol:  :lol:   Though I have to say you give more credit to the Superman from the Byrnes Blasphemy than I would  :twisted:

Dylan

ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 11:51:07 AM »

Thor can't fly without that hammer.  Sure, Thor beat Captain Marvel by blocking the lightning that transforms Billy Batson into Cap.

The match-ups in that were silly.   Wolverine vs Lobo?

At any rate, back to the topic.

PAD's future vision of Supergirl that didn't pan out.

I'm not sure if it would have been a good idea.  Kara Zor-El has her basis more in science fiction than mysticisim.  I know PAD can do good science ficition if he needs to(Star Trek comic), but he seems more drawn to the mysticisim aspects of super-heroes.
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 12:12:25 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"

At any rate, back to the topic.

PAD's future vision of Supergirl that didn't pan out.

I'm not sure if it would have been a good idea.  Kara Zor-El has her basis more in science fiction than mysticisim.  I know PAD can do good science ficition if he needs to(Star Trek comic), but he seems more drawn to the mysticisim aspects of super-heroes.

Actually, I have always seen the Superman family as more or less Science-fiction and think that is the way it SHOULD be (personal opinion there) and really disliked the fantasy/mysticism creeping in.

Oh, and PAD does more than Star Trek Comics  (I wasn't even aware he DID Star Trek comics:lol:)   He has more than a few Star Trek novels.  

And yes, he is very talented.  But as several have stated (and I think DTO put it best though I will only paraphrase him here) that it seems likely that PAD had this Character that he wanted to push and saw Supergirl as a way of introducing that character (Angel-Girl).  I think his subsequent Fallen Angel run tends to give that concept a lot more credence.

As I have stated before, If PAD had stayed away from the mysticism...had he not become so fixated on Angel-girl and been more focused on "SUPER" Girl, then I think he would have had a much better series.

Personally, I think it was his steadfast refusal to end the angel-girl thing (until he was given no choice) that led to the dragging sales and his eventual cancellation.

Dylan

Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 09:31:46 AM »

Back at ya  Tongue  :mrgreen:

LOL I have to be careful on this one...I have friends that pray to Thor ( :lol: not the comic version  :lol: )

But I have to say I like that description....it takes him down from godhood.

I actually thought of that while I was writing my original response but decided not to address it....after all...why question if I'm going to answer myself instantly  :lol:  :lol:   Though I have to say you give more credit to the Superman from the Byrnes Blasphemy than I would  :twisted:

Dylan

"Blasphemy"?  :?:

That's my #1 favorite Superman you're talking about.  Tongue

Anyway, it only seems as if Supes looks like a weakling compared to Thor to you, because you're comparing him to the Weisinger Superman; in that case, Supes looks like a tame bore indeed. In his own context he is staggering powerful.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L