superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What PAD wanted to do after #80  (Read 13950 times)
Psi
Superman's Pal

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »

In regards to Dylans last comment about the PAD Series...  While he might have held on to the mystical aspect of Supergirl a little too long, you have to admit that any other series starring that Supergirl would have flopped.  The first few years Supergirl did awesome as a series.  One might say that it was the spiral away from the mystical after issue 50 that sent it spiralling down.

The one problem that I have about people criticizing this series is that PAD did everything that people want to see from the new Series.  He made Supergirl a hero in her own right, away from Superman.  Only throwing him into the ocassional subplot.  Which was good.  It established her own villians.  It made her a very real person by merging her with so many other aspects of the previous Supergirl.  You have to keep in mind, this Supergirl was not a Kryptonian, so many things about her could be different, and were made different to make her stand apart from the crowd.  The Matrix version that was never even offered more than a mini-series never could have done that.
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 06:31:32 AM »

Quote from: "Psi"
In regards to Dylans last comment about the PAD Series...  While he might have held on to the mystical aspect of Supergirl a little too long, you have to admit that any other series starring that Supergirl would have flopped.  

Actually, I don't believe that at all.  

I do admit that Peter David is a fantastic writer... (even if he wasn't, he's doing something I'm not...making money at it  :lol: ) But I don't think he was the only one that could have done a successful Supergirl.  (But he may have been the only one willing to take on the job  :lol: )

And I don't believe that he had to use the mystical/religious hooks to make Supergirl viable.  In fact, I think, in the end, that was the downfall.  Because he alienated too many fans with it in the first place and then more when it drug on too long (and he originally did not WANT to end the angel-girl thing....read his foreword in the MHR TBP)...the fact that he was constantly being asked when it would end showed that even those that liked the initial story thought it had gone on too long and it was past time to move on andgo back to writing about Supergirl.

Having said that, I think it was just a case of stubborness on PAD's part.  The man had the talent to make just about anything work without resorting to the mystical and/or religious trappings.

In retrospect, I have to say that I never disliked PAD, I was just disappointed in hiim.  He could have done so much more.  He could have made the angel-girl thing a very short lived story and gone on to bigger and better things.  I think he just made the wrong choice by sticking with it much too long.

The jump in sales with the re-introduction of Kara (I think that should have told some one something  :lol: ) was a good clue that the readers were not tired of Supergirl...but rather tired of PAD's Supergirl.  It didn't matter that he had ended the angel-girl thing.....it had gone on too long and people had written him off.  A case of too little too late.

Now personally, I really enjoyed MHR.    But that is about all of his run that I DID enjoy.

Of course, I am glad that people enjoyed his entire run...I just can't claim to be one of those people  :lol:

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 06:40:23 AM »

I dipped into the PAD run from time to time, and I found the mystical aspects of Supergirl/Linda to be pretty cool, but the title did eventually run out of steam with the supernatural angle. I liked the idea of Linda as Supergirl without the weird trappings, but admittedly it just wasn't the same as a proper Supergirl in the proper outfit (all due respect to Bruce Timm and Paul Dini aside).

I'm curious to see where this new series is heading, although I'm a bit leery of the art. I like my nubile superhuman post-pubsescents to look a -bit- more healthy, but that's me. Jeph Loeb knocked one out of the park with the Supergirl storyline, so I'm anxious to see how he can follow up on the potential with a regular series.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 06:52:38 AM »

In addition, I have to admit that I DO admire PAD for his convictions and keeping HIS vision of Supergirl alive for 80 issues.  It lasted longer than I thought it would.

But it is obvious that he fought an uphill battle the entire time.  Even now, twenty years later, People STILL equate Supergirl with Kara Zor-El...not angel-girl  and his attempts to incorporate so many aspects of Kara Zor-El was in recognition of this...trying to play upon it and bolster his own version.

The fact that it was not his version that was seen as "Supergirl" can easily be seen in the animated series.  Why did they not introduce his Linda as supergirl instead of Kara In-Ze?  They created a character that was tweaked just enough to allow her to exist in the Byrnes Blas...er....Era :lol:  But one that was still recognizable, though all that, as Kara Zor-El.

Because this was the character that people identified as Supergirl. And In-Ze was so close to that character that it didn't matter that her surname was In-Ze instead of Zor-El...because most people understood that she was basically a carbon copy of Zor-El.

PAD COULD have overcome that, I do believe.  I just think, with the mysticism and the religious aspects, he went in the wrong direction.

Had he kept away from those aspects, left angel-girl for some other comic, focused on a more science-fiction oriented aspect and THEN began to incorporate bits and pieces from Kara Zor-El, he could have come up with a Supergirl that a majority of fans could have gotten behind and would still be going strong today.

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
GrantZilla
Superman's Pal

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 08:35:08 AM »

Quote from: "Dylan Clearbrook"
Because this was the character that people identified as Supergirl. And In-Ze was so close to that character that it didn't matter that her surname was In-Ze instead of Zor-El...because most people understood that she was basically a carbon copy of Zor-El.

Kara In-Ze is not a carbon copy of Kara Zor-El. IF anything, she more based off of Powergirl.

Kara In-Ze, in my opinion, is a better modification of Kara Zor-El. She seperate from Superman, and she has more personality then Kara Zor-El ever had.  Kara Zor-El was either crying cuz she had no Super-Friends, or trying to hook Superman up with someone.  Kara In-Ze on the other hand was sassy, smart, girly, and a bit of a wise-ass.

Unlike Kara Zor-El, who basically borrows her entire identity from Superman, Kara In-Ze comes from her own planet, has her own costume, her own personality, and not same weaknesses. She not effected by Kryptonite as badly as Kal-El is.

Ironic, but Kara Zor-El II is borrowing heavily from Kara In-Ze.  What's sad though is they are now modifying Kara In-Ze into Kara Zor-El, atleast in JLU, by making her Kryptonian.

Uhh, wish just left her alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L