superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's Death  (Read 9001 times)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »

I agree that the funeral was a bit too much.  In fact, I think the entire Death of Superman storyline was way overblown.  I'm still surprised some people thought he was going to die and stay dead.

Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 10:27:43 PM »

Well, given the dark spiral the general comics industry was taking back then -- and still is today! -- it was believable that psychopaths like Lobo and Wolverine were the 'new super-heroes' and classics like Superman were then/now obsolete.  Killing off the Last Son of Krypton seemed in line with the drek the industry was inflicting upon us.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 12:39:33 AM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
I agree that the funeral was a bit too much.  In fact, I think the entire Death of Superman storyline was way overblown.  I'm still surprised some people thought he was going to die and stay dead.

Well, I did. But I was also 10 years old, so that's my excuse.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 03:24:22 AM »

Comics back then were all about brain dead gimmicks to sucker collectors who didn't even read the comics they brought into buying extra copies with idiotic covers, controversial story lines and of course meaningless comic book deaths that didn't mean anything since long time readers knew that no one ever stays dead in comics. The biggest of these gimmicks was of course the death of Superman, a story with some of the worst artwork ever, and some of the worst writing, and the worst villain of all time. It worked and DC made a killing and all those copies are worth now less than their cover price. The collectors moved on to other crap to buy, long time readers gave up after so many worthless gimmicks, prices shot up so that little kids could no longer afford comics anymore, and now most comics are struggling to even break even.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 04:15:27 PM »

If only there were an Iron Age Fortress of Solitude Forum, Supermonkey's quote above would serve as the homepage text.  An excellent summation.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 03:05:56 AM »

Does this picture help?

I think at this point, you shouldn't mess with the "S"

The Real Captain Marvel!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 04:22:22 AM »

That is some hideous artwork. :l:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »

I thought that the plot line was a little "scattered" and needed a little more consistency in the storyline, but that's just me.  This was a big heavy book with really glossy pages.  I didn't trust the Cyborg version of him or the one with the yellow saftey glasses.  I think they really messed something up down at CADMUS.

The Real Captain Marvel!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L