superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterday's terrorist bombing in London  (Read 3717 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: July 08, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »

The terrorists finally hit London, with the first bomb going off yesterday (Thursday morning London time) while I was at work in Euston Road, Central London.

The Tube (subway) was hit several times. I was on that line about an hour before the first explosion. (I have quite an early start so I'm travelling just before the real crush of rush hour.) Things were quite surreal at times, with many police cars and ambulances speeding back and forth outside my building throughout the day, and normally busy roads blocked off to regular traffic.

At first it was hard to find out what was happening, but during the morning we learned of the explosions on the Tube, and the bus full of people being blown apart.

I had a long walk home across London in the evening as there was no public transport. I'm amazed that today (Friday London time) most of the Tube is running again. My building is staying closed so I am off work, but my wife took the Tube to work as per normal.

I don't really know what to say about the innocent people who have been tragically killed and maimed, but of course I am thinking of them.

No word yet if it was indeed the work of al-Qaeda or its sympathisers, or whether or not the murderers were suicide bombers or if they are still alive and at large.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 04:29:07 PM »

Aldous, it sounds like you may have had a lucky break.

I'm sure I speak for all the North Americans here when I say that I'm thinking about the Londoners who were affected by the bombings yesterday.  Thankfully it doesn't seem that the loss of life was as severe as in Madrid.  Good luck in the days to come.

--It was very strange, I had just finished reading Michel Houllebecq's novel Platform, which is about a terrorist bombing, and clicked on the computer to check my email --and saw the news at the top of the page.  Very surreal.  Real life horribly imitating art.

Take care!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 06:06:22 PM »

Glad to hear you and yours got through it okay, Aldous.

Slowly but surely all my friends from London are checking in so that's a relief.  But of course the news isn't good for everyone, and my prayers go out to them.

I hope I won't ruin the good Superman vibes here when I say I sincerely hope the perpetrators are run to ground and exterminated like the vermin they are.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 09:18:25 PM »

I am at least happy to hear that our on-line buddy Aldous is well and safe, and I sure glad you are still around.

My heart and thoughts are with the families of those who sadly were not as lucky Sad

Terrorist attacks are just 100% pure evil, and I hope that someday we can live in a world where these types of acts never happen.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 04:13:00 AM »

Very glad you got through it, well, not through it but with personal memories...
Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 05:05:47 AM »

I am glad that you are safe! It is very sad what happened and even to many Americans, it was almost like 9-11 all over again even though the scale of this was not as large.  We need to get Bin Laden!  We need to get the Jihadists to stop!

The Real Captain Marvel!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L