superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current LSH reboot  (Read 10378 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 10:47:33 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
So, this run is getting "raved reviews," eh? As a personal aside, nothing makes me more sad than the cultish, personal devoted following of terrible, untalented creators. If Waid, Ellis, Morrison, Bendis, Byrne, and Giffen want to be terrible, it is tragic but they are the failures of only one man. If these same men can garner hordes of bobbleheaded robot supporters, it is a failure of the human race. It was P.T. Barnum that said "nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

How can you refer to everyone who likes those writers as robots? You're just dismissing their beliefs because you don't agree with them. That isn't fair at all--not to the writers and certainly not to the fans.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »

My least favorite era of the Legion's publishing history was the Giffen one.  The "adult Legion gone haywire" era as I like to call it.  The fact that they had to introduce cloned kid legionnaires and then say that maybe the clones were the real ones indicates to me how wrong they went with the strip at that time.

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 10:30:05 PM »

Quote from: "NotSuper"
How can you refer to everyone who likes those writers as robots? You're just dismissing their beliefs because you don't agree with them. That isn't fair at all--not to the writers and certainly not to the fans.

I didn't say that everyone that likes certain writers are robots. I actually have some otherwise very intelligent friends that liked Mark Waid's FLASH, and even I have a soft spot for Grant Morrison's JLA.

I am referring, however, to the baffling Cult of Personality that surrounds lousy writers; the definitive case of this is our old Canuck buddy Johnny Byrne, whose ByrneRobotics is one of the most fascinating websites ever, in an onlooker car-crash sort of way. Warren Ellis's boards are the ultimate Echo Chamber for his own views, and Warren prunes the boards to make sure it stays that way - woe forbid you ever disagree with the Great Man on anything. Usually I try my best not to stereotype, but Ellis's fans are truly so identical in outlook because Ellis's views are institutionalized among them; if you've met one hardcore Ellis fan, you've more or less met them all. Ellis's fandom makes College Campus Objectivism look like a Diversity Seminar.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
ddavilat
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 09:54:41 PM »

Hello:

I'm new in this Forum, but I'm a old fan of LSH.

This new stories de LEGION are very interesting and the art is good, but I hate the new concept of "this" Legion.

I don't like some new origins, I don't like fights between legionnaires ¿What happened with the union of the group? ¿Intrigues? ¿Secrets? ¿Rivalry between Cosmic and Brainiac? Come on, this seems elections for President. Besides don't convince me the conflict of generations. The villains are Fatal Five, Mordru, etc., not daddy and mommy.

It is my opinion. Crazy of me because I am buying them yet.

LLL

David
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 12:26:07 AM »

Welcome David!

I'm sure others here will have something to say about your new Legion criticisms but I'd just like to add:  comparing supervillains to parental figures is a very interesting idea and one of my personal hobbyhorses.  Would superheroes exist if there were no villains?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 03:49:02 PM »

BTW the Legion sold very well during the 60s so much so as they wentr froma backup feature in Adventure (to Superboy's lead) to taking over the mag. As well as Superboy's mag too later.
ddavilat
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »

Hello TELLE:

Exactly. You said it. Superheroes no exist if there are not supervillains. I think that.

If only there are villains, then there are only heroes (people like us).

So long

DAVID
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 02:08:28 PM »

Considering what's going on with Supergirl currently, it's clear DC is going to keep rebooting characters in an effort to find a version which clicks with it's readers.  I expect eventually there's going to be a new Superboy one day, too.  How long the feature's been around doesn't seem to matter to DC now.  Just look at Doom Patrol.  DC's current line of thinking is if the strip isn't selling like it used to, then reboot it and if they have to they are willing to throw away the past history.
Any bets on if Infinite Crisis is yet another way to try to explain away all the recent reboots?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L