superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman as a Green Lantern  (Read 3926 times)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« on: July 11, 2005, 04:18:04 PM »

I'm trying to compile a list of stories (Elseworlds, Imaginary, Dream Sequences etc.) from PreC or PostC where Superman takes up the mantle of a GL.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Last Son of Earth, but I know there have been others as I've seen various pictures of Supes in GL costumes of different designs. Any help would be much appreciated.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 05:04:51 PM »

Besides Superman: Last Son of Earth that you mentioned already, RedSun, I believe these are the only other references to Superman as a Green Lantern.

Pre Crisis Superman as "The Greatest Green Lantern of All!":

http://superman.nu/tales2/greatestGL/

JLA #8 Kal-El, Green Lantern of Krypton (imaginary story):

http://www.emeralddawn.com/book/kal-el.htm

Superman (2nd series) #147 Kal-El, Green Lantern of Oa (Cogito's probability scenario played out in Superman's mind via cortex feed):

http://www.emeralddawn.com/book/kae-el2.htm

I know Hal once sent Kal his power ring to fight Star Sapphire Pre Crisis. But I don't count that as Superman being GL since he only had the ring not formal induction into the GLC.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 11:57:04 PM »

Domo CK, that JLA one was specifically what I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember anything about it. Again, thanks. Smiley

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:13:13 AM »

In the Elseworlds book "In Darkest Knight", Green Lantern Bruce Wayne defies the Guardians' orders transferring him from Earth.  So in order to keep Earth protected in Bruce's absence, the Guardians approach Clark Kent and Diana of Themyscria.  Barry Allen didn't have a chance to refuse, though -- he was hit by a bolt of GREEN lightning.   :wink:

At the end, all three are wearing green variants of their traditional superhero costumes, with the Oan symbol.  So it appears that they are indeed full-fledged Green Lanterns.

DTO
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 06:27:59 PM »

Superman and Green Lantern "merged" briefly, thanks to Apache Chief voice's power ring,  in one of the Superfriends cartoons from the 70s.  They had to combine their powers to do something they couldn't do individually -- escape a black hole or penetrate a force field -- something like that.
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:39:40 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Superman and Green Lantern "merged" briefly, thanks to Apache Chief voice's power ring,  in one of the Superfriends cartoons from the 70s.  They had to combine their powers to do something they couldn't do individually -- escape a black hole or penetrate a force field -- something like that.

It was to escape from a black hole in the episodes "The World's Most Dangerous Game" but what does "Minnesota President" (inside gag) have to do with it?

On a side note Toyman has to be about the lamest character the LoD had. Dresses like a Batman villian though he is supposed to be a Superman villian, uses gimics best suited to the Adam West Batman, and two years later was killed off by the original Toyman.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:04:32 PM »

I remember thinking the animated effect was cool, but wondering why didn't Green Lantern just give Superman the darn power ring rather than burn a lot of energy trying to merge two bodies.

I'm just waiting for the Starheart to bond to the Starchild, so Superman can start using "Great Scott!" as an exclamation again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L