superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:29:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about multiple universes...  (Read 27198 times)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 10:26:18 PM »

Also a DC Multiverse (if done right) could include the universes of the different movies/tv series/cartoons based on DC characters.  They could have a story where the different versions of Superman (for example) meet.  Those versions including; golden age, silver age, current, fleischer cartoons, Kirl Allyn movie serial, radio program, George Brewer/Bessolo/Reeves series, superfriends,  other cartoons from 60s & 70s,  cartoon from 1988,  Christopher Reeve movies, Superboy tv series,  Lois & Clark,  the animated series/justice league/justice league unlimitted.  

Crisis was a great story, but destroying the DC Multiverse was one of the dumbest ideas in history.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 10:41:13 PM »

Well, I think it was great...

I just read the other day that a number of people were surveyed after a screening of the Peter Jackson King Kong trailer, and some huge percentage had no memory of the movie and thought that dinosaurs in a King Kong movie was too much like Jurassic Park...

So I wonder how younger generations with short memories and lots of choices would react to so much competition for the shrinking comic book dollar...

And of course, jacking up the price for limited editions is not a great way to solve that problem either...

Sometimes I wonder if something better just could have been constructed after the Crisis...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 01:37:48 AM »

Crisis on Infinite Earths happened when I was 2 or 3 years old. Nevertheless, I've read it and come to understand the effects it had, especially on Superman. Earth-4 did not exist before the series...it was the first to designate an earth for Charlton comics, right before destroying them all.

I don't really mind having all the heroes on one earth. I really dislike having half of them destroyed in the process. Why is it that the original and current Green Lanterns can co-exist, but the original and current versions of Superman cannot? Why did Argo City, Midvale, most of Smallville, Htrae, and Kandor have to go?

I'm following the current "Crisis 2" to see what happens. But unless Clark Kent is Superboy again I won't consider the comics to be legitimate. I don't even like a lot of superhero comics...I mostly like Vertigo, Swamp Thing, etc. But don't mess with Superman!...there are more than enough pre-Crisis Superman comics to occupy my time for the rest of my life...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 02:42:51 AM »

On the earth at the same time just doesn't quite cut it for me...it misses things that are forever gone...in some ways they almost shouldn't co-exist...

A Hawkman with Egyptian origins...

A Flash that my mom remembered...

Creepy omnipotent characters like the Spectre...

Johnny Thunder...

Jeez, a lot more interesting than Superman's "power rating"versus the Hulk...

But that's just me...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 02:46:27 AM »

Of course, a reboot of the entire line would have been the best answer after Crisis.  It would not have taken any coordination:  maintain most of your series and introduce a few flashback stories or miniseries to get both new and older generations up to speed with the "new" universe.  I'm sure there was quite a bit of pressure (which Warner/DC should learn to ignore) from long-term fans and the collector market/industry (people like Steve Geppi, etc).  In fact, I can see some higher up at Warner/DC eventually doing just that, erasing current continuity by editorial fiat, all for the good of company health.

That being said, the concepts and continuity pre-Crisis were perfectly healthy, lacking only imagination, artistry, and editorial/corporate commitment in some cases.

And the Crisis now seems more useless than ever, as previous posters have noted the continued presence of the multiverse (after all, how can an editor erase a basic principle of quantum physics?).  In addition, creators in more influential/popular media like tv/animated cartoons/movies are free to pick and choose the concepts they like from previous ages of DC, like the use of characters and alternate earths in the Justice League/Bruce Timm series of cartoons.

In sum, the Crisis was wrong-headed, despite some affecting scenes (writing-wise) and generally great art (if you like George Perez, and I used to like him more).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 03:03:31 AM »

Disclaimer: I have never read the "Crisis" and I never intend to. Seems too much like watching an execution.
Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
...was the IDEA of the "Crisis" a good one?

The suggestion that the multiverse was "too confusing" doesn't wash with me. The first comic I ever read (at age 7) was a JLA/JSA crossover. The concept of two Earths and (semi-) duplicate heroes was what hooked me on comics.

I think some kind of "consolidation" could have been useful. For example, merging Earth-X and Earth-S so that the old Quality and Fawcett heroes could form one team. But Earth-One, Earth-Two, and Earth-Three should have been kept.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 03:12:07 AM »

Well, even if you had read it (I didn't until 2000), I guess that a lot of people could agree that it may have been memorable but the universe built on the bodies and elimination of a lot of intellectually interesting characters was a wash out...

Cheers...
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"

2.)  Revamps/retcons/reboots;  just say that the new version of the character is his/her counterpart on a newly discovered earth.  The new version can still interact with the character in the other titles.  You don't need to alter everyone's past to do it that way.

The most interesting part, in my opinion.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L