superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman: A New Tomorrow panel  (Read 6108 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: July 17, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »

None of this makes me want to pick up any issues, but here it is anyway. Of all the Sliver Age ideas, they decided to bring back this one?

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=88a3de5d07dc7b58b43e834fd4a99df6&threadid=38365

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 05:46:12 AM »

Superman/Batman is a decent comic, but that didn't really make me want to buy any either, and I still won't until All-Star Superman. There have only been a few really good Superman comics in the last few years- Birthright, Bizarro Comics, and It's a Bird... are all that come immediately to mind.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 08:04:24 AM »

Who are they? Super sons?

By the way, I'm very interested in the current stories.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 11:09:59 AM »

Here's the DC solicit:

-----------------------------------------------------------
SUPERMAN/BATMAN

The fantastic tale "With a Vengeance" continues in SUPERMAN/ BATMAN, written by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by Ed McGuinness & Dexter Vines. In October's issue 24, the fate of the universe hangs in the balance unless Batwoman and Superwoman can save the day — with the help of Superlad!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, let's see what we can make out of this...

Superman/Batman has seen a flood of "retro" elements and one-shot "tributes", such as a Composite Superman robot, Lex Luthor reverting to his "crazed scientist in a warsuit" incarnation, a new Supergirl, multi-colored kryptonite, etc.  There has also been a recent alternate timeline story where we had glimpses of Kamandi, the Adult Legion of Super-Heroes (and their upside-down rocket clubhouse), the Legion of Super-Villians, Jordan Elliot from "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and so on.  In short, Superman/Batman has been a mess.   :wink:

"Batwoman" -- long associated with Kathy Kane, though not in current DC continuity.

"Superwoman" -- though used by the Earth-3 villainess (and her current counterpart in the Crime Syndicate of Amerika), this was also the identity of the Pre-Crisis Kristin Wells.  Also, Kara Zor-El often voiced the expectation that she would someday don the "Superwoman" identity.

"Superlad" -- In Supergirl #10 (Sept/Oct 1974) Dr. Forte creates a MALE clone of Supergirl (but where did he get that Y chromosome?), which becomes a criminal Superlad.  Yet  another horrible story that blighted this series.  Now you wonder why Supergirl was cancelled immediately afterwards?   :wink:

Back in Superman #349 (July 1980), Mr. Mxyztplk once created a "reverse-gender" world -- "The Turnabout Trap!"  See http://www.tgfa.org/comics/superman/images/Superman_349_Cover.jpg for the cover.  Judging from the costumes depicted on Superman/Batman #24 (Batwoman not in tradtional gold costume but in a Batsuit, Superwoman in traditional "red and blues" with black hair, Superlad in gold-edged cape and blond hair), it appears that this is a similar scenario.  This doesn't mean that Bruce, Clark and Kara necessarilly undergo a change -- it could be an alternate world or timeline.

Scary how Superwoman's face reminds me of Cir-El...   :wink:

DTO
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 02:17:48 PM »

Quote from: "dto"

Scary how Superwoman's face reminds me of Cir-El...   :wink:

Argh, I hated Cir-El...

Supergirl = sweet blonde girl with a Superman costume.
And Cir-El wasn't this.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 10:46:29 PM »

ok, so if they bring Kristin Wells back that might convince me to buy a comic or two.

I keep up with current comics (Infinite Crisis stuff) but that's only to see if stuff reverts back to the way it was. Loeb is the only person who seems to care about "retro" things, so I doubt it. After all, Rucka is in charge of the series, and he's the one who turned Pete ross into a Lobo-like villian.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 10:57:23 PM »

Geesh, what a super-nerd, dto actually got my reference... :shock:

Tongue

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 02:46:42 AM »

Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase World's Finest. . .  :twisted:

I know, I know. But eventually somebody was gonna say it. Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM