superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:07:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman: A New Tomorrow panel  (Read 5933 times)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 04:38:00 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Geesh, what a super-nerd, dto actually got my reference... :shock:

Tongue

Super-nerd?   :shock:

Super Monkey called me a "Super-NERD"?!   :evil:

Grrr... where's those green kryptonite bananas?   :twisted:

ACTUALLY, I came across Superman #349 when I was doing my own research into alternate Supergirls/Superwomen, etc.  And unfortunately despite my best efforts I still can't get that wretched story concept out of my head.   :wink:

And I'll agree with Super Monkey -- this is ONE hoary Silver/Bronze Age idea that SHOULD remain buried and forgotten on the other side of the Crisis Anti-Matter wall.

DTO
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 08:18:32 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
After all, Rucka is in charge of the series, and he's the one who turned Pete ross into a Lobo-like villian.

I don't think so. Could really Pete become a villain? I think someone has framed him.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 09:40:53 AM »

Any mention or remembrance of the Silver Age is fine by me. Modern writers abandon it like the crazy old uncle at the family reunion - stories they've never even read.

But this can give root to some creative speculation: what if Superman - Kal-El, WAS a woman?

Perhaps it would be Lois Lane that is Superwoman's Best Pal, not poor Jimmy, and she'd wear the signal watch. She'd be Superwoman's gossipy "Best Girlfriend!" Of course, she'd still be snoopy and pry into Superwoman's secret identity, as one would expect.

Of course, the human disguise would be a little different. Tina Fey once remarked: "If you think wearing glasses with a pony tail would keep men from noticing you...well...you'd be right."

Her relationship with Kara Zor-El would be a little more profound and they would be far closer friends. After all, no matter how close they are, there is still a profound difference between a 30 year old man and a 16 year old girl. It may be likely Superwoman, if she has maternal instincts, would have adopted Kara herself instead of leaving her to an Orphanage, leading to a "Gilmore Girls" situation.

Maybe Pete Ross was Brooke Kent's (or whatever's) old "steady," or flame, instead of buddy, which implies a magnified role for him than he possessed in the Superman series.

Luthor's relationship with Superwoman would be more or less the same; his rage and frustration and jealousy magnified all the more because he's beaten by "a woman."

Superwoman's relationship with other enemies would acquire creepier overtones. For one thing, Mongul the Space-Tyrant or King Kosmos would give ultamatums like, "I will spare your wretched planet Earth...if Superwoman would consent to be my bride."

One has to feel sorry, though, for poor Dick Grayson in all this, though. Puberty is a very frightening and awkward time. When I was 13, I couldn't muster up the courage to TALK to any girls. And he occasionally has to team up with an intimidating, movie star quality dame like Superwoman. Poor kid must be scared to death.

And finally, on a bright note, it is entirely likely a cure for Kryptonite would be found and the Bottled City of Kandor enlarged to normal size way ahead of schedule. Isn't it just like a man to leave unfinished tasks lying around?  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L