superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What might you reject?  (Read 27807 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« on: July 20, 2005, 01:10:28 AM »

Plenty of sea changes have had a big impact on Superman...anything not work for you?  And I'm certainly not talking Iron Age stuff here...

Me?

Superbaby...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 02:03:21 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Plenty of sea changes have had a big impact on Superman...anything not work for you?  And I'm certainly not talking Iron Age stuff here...

Me?

Superbaby...

But, Super baby was fun! I liked the way he defeated those powerful and "smart" super villains without even trying, but just by being a baby. Super baby was not suppose to be a real superhero, he was just pretending. In a way it was like he was meant to be Superman all along, it was his destiny to be a hero, he never wanted to be anything else.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 02:11:44 AM »

Darn!  You got me... Cheesy

And lets face it, that super kid solved everything from Solomon's choice to how the Golden Fleece was aquired...
Coldsam
Superman Fan

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 04:30:31 AM »

I started reading Superman family of comics in the early 60's.I always hated the Superbaby stories in Superboy Magazine, but in the Superman/Action comics was the  use/overuse of Red Kryptonite, Superman robots and the Argo City story that I disliked the most. I liked Supergirl, but the Argo City story was even seemed less than credible to me (at the time). I was also bothered by the over abundance of Kryptonian survivors. I liked Kandor and the Phantom Zone and Kara and Krypto, but even I have to draw the line somewhere. I didn't like the robots because they provided the writers an easy cop out whenever Superman had an identity crisis. I enjoyed the Red K at first , but at some point it seemed to  at least once a month in one of the Superman Family of comics would have a story invovling Red K.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 04:36:29 AM »

What about Argo City particularly bummed you?

Supergirl herself was a fine and sweet addition to my mind...

And I wonder how many Krytonian survivors are "too much"...

Yeah, the robots may have kept you guessing, my favorite part about them was that many had a moral conscience...
Coldsam
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 07:43:54 AM »

My problem with Argo City began with the fact of it's survival intact because it had a plexiglass covering over it. It was my impression in the story about Krypton's end was to planet exploded into small bits. Look at any story about the death of Krypton before the Supergirl story and the destruction of the planet is total. But, let's put that aside for a moment, then when Argo City starts to become Radioactive, Kara's father has enough leading shielding to cover the ground surface of the entire city. Finally the whole business of the Survival Zone. I guess the El family is just good at finding zones. I wonder which one found Auto Zone or the Twilight Zone. I know the reason that Kara's parents couldn't go to the Phantom Zone was because of continunity problems it would have caused. But the Survival Zone was cop out. It would have been better to keep Kara's parents dead, I thought it gave Supergirl's story more emotional pull. But dead in comics are seldom left to stay dead (1e Lightening Lad, Alfred).
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 07:54:40 AM »

Pre-Crisis:
Multicolor Kryptonite. Red, Blue, Gold... Argh! For me, there is only Green K!
Superventriloquism and Superhypnosis (a bit stupid powers, in my opinion).

Post-Crisis:
The whole long haired Lex Luthor/deal with Neron storyline.
The long haired Superman.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 08:41:16 AM »

It seems incredible that Argo City could have survived Krypton's explosion intact -- the acceleration should have turned the residents into strawberry jam.  And depictions of the ejected asteroid JUST large enough to accommodate the dome were even less believable.

But perhaps we shouldn't take this comic images at face value.  If the planetary chunk was originally as large as Australia (as seen in the first Superman/Batman arc), all that mass might have been blasted clear at a survivable velocity.  And if Argo City was located somewhere close to the center of this huge piece, then it might have been sufficiently shielded from the explosion.  To minimize radiation poisoning, the asteroid was soon reshaped down to the bare minimum needed to maintain structual integrity beneath the dome.  This could have been done with carefully-controlled explosives and industrial robots.  Also, the dome merely concentrated the air -- the asteroid was massive enough to retain some residual atmosphere.  Otherwise the meteor shower that pierced the dome would have immediately killed the Argo City residents via explosive decompresion.

As for superventriloquism, I always thought this was actually a form of telepathy.  Superman simply visualized communicating in space as "throwing his voice", and subconsciously triggered a psionic talent he never realized he possessed.

DTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L