superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:45:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What might you reject?  (Read 27687 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »

Quote from: "Coldsam"
I guess the El family is just good at finding zones. I wonder which one found Auto Zone or the Twilight Zone.

Heh!

SUPERMAN: Great Scott! I must retrieve the replacment super-carbeurator my uncle on Krypton, Ax-El, has placed in... the Auto Zone!

SUPERMAN: Great Krypton! I'm trapped here in the dimension my second cousin Ser-Ling discovered----the *Twilight Zone*---and what's worse, I've broken my only pair of glasses in this library! My secret identity may be in peril!

:-)

Seriously, Supergirl's background story (Survival Zone, etc.) never really bothered me much... besides, how many dimensions does the DC Universe (or Multiverse back then) have, anyway? Flash alone must've discovered more than the El family ever did...

But stuff I could do without pre-Crisis: Hmm.... not sure. Possibilities: the Kryptonian "teaching robot"; seeing Superboy/man shove the Earth out of its orbit with super-breath or something (or pull a group of planets along by a chain easily); that story with an insane Pete Ross pulling Superboy out of the past and into the present (and switching bodies with him)...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 01:40:25 PM »

Perhaps some of you are taking those old stories a little too seriously, I mean once you start not liking a Superman element because it is too fake, then something is wrong. These stories are meant to be fun, no one cared if it actually made sense, since it rarely ever did. Whenever something really over the top and ridiculous happens in the old Superman comics, which is almost every story ever, it makes me laugh, it adds to the enjoyment. In fact, if Superman was not filled with surreal insanity then I think it would be boring and I wouldn't like it as much (see the Golden Age comics). The name for these types of stories was Science-Fantasy, they were never suppose to be science-fiction. Science-fiction actually tries to make sense, Science-fantasy is just pure fantasy using science-fiction elements instead of Lord of the Rings type stuff.

From Wikipedia:

Science fantasy is the merging of science fiction and fantasy, two popular genres of writing. The two are notoriously difficult to define, and possibly even more difficult to distinguish. One might claim that science fiction provides a scientific explanation for all phenomena, whereas fantasy mostly takes the supernatural for granted. However, the "science" behind these explanations is often no more than mumbo-jumbo, especially in the pulp magazines. Arthur C. Clarke claims that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," and this is especially true for science fantasy. Hence, it might be said that the difference is more one of stage props: on the one hand we have spacecraft and phasers, on the other hand magic carpets and wands of smiting. Science fantasy, then, would be distinguished by the use of elements from both sets of props; classic examples would include the Dune universe or the Dying Earth stories. On the other hand, it is sometimes used to refer to a fantasy where the fantastic elements are presented as being (relatively) compatible with real-world science; by contrast, in general fantasy, the elements need only adhere to an internal logic.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy"

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 03:48:14 PM »

It gets worse, originally Argo City survived "under a bubble of air"...

Whenever you start looking at the science in comics, it falls apart, so you accept it as part of story or don't but pick and choose...

Evertime Superman picked up an ocean liner and held it one spot, gravity would have caused it to break apart...the time travel that Superman employs means that he could have traveled to times just before any act of crime or villiany even occured...

For me, I can agree that a fun and mysterious puzzle might just mean the a Superman robot was used...that seems more like lazy story telling and bothered me more than a fun but improbable science fiction...
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 07:05:27 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Perhaps some of you are taking those old stories a little too seriously, I mean once you start not liking a Superman element because it is too fake, then something is wrong. These stories are meant to be fun, no one cared if it actually made sense, since it rarely ever did. Whenever something really over the top and ridiculous happens in the old Superman comics, which is almost every story ever, it makes me laugh, it adds to the enjoyment. In fact, if Superman was not filled with surreal insanity then I think it would be boring and I wouldn't like it as much (see the Golden Age comics). The name for these types of stories was Science-Fantasy, they were never suppose to be science-fiction. Science-fiction actually tries to make sense, Science-fantasy is just pure fantasy using science-fiction elements instead of Lord of the Rings type stuff.

From Wikipedia:

Science fantasy is the merging of science fiction and fantasy, two popular genres of writing. The two are notoriously difficult to define, and possibly even more difficult to distinguish. One might claim that science fiction provides a scientific explanation for all phenomena, whereas fantasy mostly takes the supernatural for granted.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy"

IMHO a very poor way of defining Science Fantasy. The best definition that has been provided is that Science Fiction makes the implausable possible while Science Fantasy makes the impossible plausable.  These definitions deal with changes in the way it is believed the world works because sometimes what is Science Fantasy under one cosmology becomes Science Fiction under another.

For example when Verne wrote 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea the mode of power for the Nautilus was straight Science Fantsy per Newton but with Einstein it became Science Fiction and eventually science fact. Of course comics play so lose with the physics of their worlds that one wonders if 'science' is even there.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 08:30:03 AM »

Things that I would reject:

- Superbaby

- All the super-pets except Kryoto.

- Super-hypnotism.

- Superman moving planets without help.

That's pretty much it.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 06:58:51 PM »

I don't really reject any of it. Superbaby is not readable for me, but for a small child those stories are. Moving planets is a little too much....but I have a soft spot for the Legion of Super-Pets and have decorated my entire classroom with them.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 09:31:43 PM »

Superpets rule! Superman only had one, the doggie. The cat and Horse were Supergirl's. The Monkey was solo, he was no one's pet, he answered to no one. Well, except maybe the Great Rao Wink

Superman moving planets without help

He did that a lot more on Superfriends than in the comics.
Sure it made no sense, but nothing ever did, I think it is one of those super stunts that really captures the imagination.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 10:04:30 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Superpets rule! Superman only had one, the doggie. The cat and Horse were Supergirl's. The Monkey was solo, he was no one's pet, he answered to no one. Well, except maybe the Great Rao

Superman moving planets without help

He did that a lot more on Superfriends than in the comics.
Sure it made no sense, but nothing ever did, I think it is one of those super stunts that really captures the imagination.

I just never liked any of the super-pets nesides Krypto. I mean, a pet super-dog is cool, but when you have a farm of super-animals it's a bit much. It's weird that I like Krypto the best when I actually own two cats.  Smiley

As for Superman moving planets without help, I realize that he rarely did that in the comics--it was all a little too much, though (and I'm not one of those guys who wants to severly depower Superman either). He should be able to lift almost everything on Earth, just not move the Earth itself.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L