superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Aparo, 1932-2005  (Read 6956 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 20, 2005, 01:22:21 PM »

R.i.P.

One of the major Batman artists.  Closely associated with Aquaman.  And the artist of some memorable Superman-related stories.

Critical career retrospective:

http://www.quarterbin.net/talentpo/tp25.html

Book on Aparo:

http://www.twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=337

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 05:38:57 PM »

Terrible news.  In many ways, Aparo was to Batman what Swan was to Superman; a long-standing, dependably top-drawer artist who helped define the look of a character and his world, but somehow never got the glory he deserved.  To this day, there are those who put him down as a poor man's Neal Adams, but in my book he brought more to Batman than Neal did, and on balance he was probably a better artist.

I'd been planning an Aparo tribute at my Bat-Fan site, but haven't finished it.  Sadly now it'll have to be a "remembrance."  Same with Irv Novick...if I don't get some of these pages written soon, they'll all be ending with R.I.P. Sad

In the meantime, I do at least have one of his stories up.  If you get a chance in the next few days, stop by and see Aparo at the top of his game:

http://batfan.superman.nu/bizarre/rock/page_01.htm

This looks like a job for...
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 07:33:47 PM »

Quote from: "Nightwing"
a long-standing, dependably top-drawer artist

It's a difficult thing, to define what a man you never met meant to you (especially during your formative years). If I had to list the favourite comics of my childhood, you're going to see much Aparo: Batman, of course, and some Brave and the Bold, and Aquaman ("Is California Sinking?" springs to mind as classic Aparo).

Thank you for your art, your storytelling, and your professionalism, Jim.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 07:50:17 PM »

One of my favorites was the multi-part "Bat-Murderer" series in Detective Comics.  And of course B&B and Aquaman.  

I have to say, though, some of Jim's coolest stuff was on The Phantom books for Charlton.  Anyone talented enough to make me buy a Charlton comic was pretty special! (Especially a book about a guy who wears a purple bodysuit...apparently wool, to boot...in the freaking jungle!  Sorry, Aussies, but the Phantom can be pretty silly looking.  Thanks to Aparo and Don Newton, though, I soon found myself among the loyal ranks of the Jungle Patrol).

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 04:58:44 PM »

Another top talent lost.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

Quote from: "Nightwing"
(Especially a book about a guy who wears a purple bodysuit...apparently wool, to boot...in the freaking jungle! Sorry, Aussies, but the Phantom can be pretty silly looking. Thanks to Aparo and Don Newton, though, I soon found myself among the loyal ranks of the Jungle Patrol)

Oh, Nightwing, you philistine!

I'm a very big fan and avid reader of The Phantom (as written by Lee Falk and drawn by Ray Moore, Wilson McCoy, and early Sy Barry) going way back to childhood. (I'm sure I've talked about The Ghost Who Walks here on this forum.)

Where did you hear his suit was made of wool, of all things??

I have always had the impression, from reading the comics, that The Phantom's suit was grey. Even now when I read Phantom comics, I see the outfit as grey. (I have the Australian comic books which present the comics in their proper black and white and sometimes grey.)

Anyway, maybe you would like to read Bryan Shedden's article A Purple Phantom? on The Deep Woods.

And let's be honest here.... How much do Batman and/or Superman owe to The Phantom when it comes to stylish threads? Skintight bodysuit, anyone? Undershorts over the tights, anyone? An emblem in a triangular border, anyone? A cowl, and no eyes visible through the slits in the mask, anyone? Calf-length boots, anyone? Hmmm?  :wink:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 10:23:30 PM »

He was a real talent. I post about his death in that Batman version of this site that everyone begged Rao to keep then forgot about and never posted there, you know, that one.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 02:32:49 AM »

It is always a shame that fine historical talent is no more...

I feel sad about the other site too, I look it over but there's not much action there...seems to me a good place to visit too...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L