superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News: Superman Novel  (Read 10662 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 02:10:01 AM »

I can't wait to buy this novel. It seems like a fascinating read.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 12:39:28 AM »

Whaaa?

Rao, you mean to tell me that I've been watching Amazon, waiting for this book to come out....and it's out?

To ebay!

(coincidentally, while we're talking novels, Amazon has a free chapter of Roger Stern's recent novel posted. It may be acceptable to post it on this site.)

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 02:13:04 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Rao, you mean to tell me that I've been watching Amazon, waiting for this book to come out....and it's out?

To ebay!

bn.com claims that they can ship "It's Superman" within 24 hours.  They also link to a used bookseller who's got a galley copy for sale.  Here's the link.  But if you're anywhere near a bookstore, why not just go there and pick up a copy?  (But for those who can wait, just remember that a purchase through our amazon link helps out a lot.)

And here's my review from the other thread, just so that it can be in the correct place, too. Smiley
Quote from: "Great Rao"
"Coming out?"  It's out!  My library has a copy, my local bookstore has a bunch of copies, and I have a copy that I bought yesterday.  I have no idea why it's not at amazon yet - I'm sure your bookstore, if it doesn't have any copies in stock, can get you one within a couple of days.  I'm one chapter in and it's absolutely fantastic.  If you like Superman; 1930's Americana; Kavalier and Clay; Men of Tomorrow; John Steinbeck or William Faulkner - you'll like this book.  It's a little odd to see later Superman trappings - like Police Chief Parker, or Smallville being located in Kansas - transposed back to a realistic 1930s.  But it works.  A lot of fun and a great read.

The STTA page for the book is here.

We'll have to see if I still like it so much once I get further in...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 08:42:32 PM »

At the end of the day Superman is timeless. But there is something about the backdrop of the 30's and 40's which seems to feel very natural for him and kind of pops him out, I would say the same for Batman actually. I think it's part of why the retro fusion look adopted for Batman the animated series and also Superman work so well.

I think the character is so timeless you could put him back in period and still have it work for a modern audience. Hell, it might even be better. Though that doesn't mean I want to have him just being able to leap or wearing sandels instead of boots.

Given everything that has come down the pike for the character in the past 20 years or so, I'd be very inclined to put him back into period so that he would not be so downwind of trend and a victim of alot of efforts to force him to "change with the times". Yes the character has been adapted to the shifting enviorment before but the past 20 years seem to have demonstrated an inability to do that without breaking or over analyzing the very things that make him work in the first place. Heck there are some folks who seem convinced the only way to modernize him is to not have him fly and take away his costume.

Also, putting him back in period would have another purpose which is to restablish him as THE first superhero. You could have his regular adventures happening in period but you could also do stories with him in modern times where he's older and is the example for others.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 05:51:22 PM »

I've spun off a Spoilers Thread for the novel.  Be warned that there are, of course, many spoilers and probably more to come.

Perhaps non-spoiler disscussion should remain here.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 11:13:47 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
At the end of the day Superman is timeless. But there is something about the backdrop of the 30's and 40's which seems to feel very natural for him and kind of pops him out, I would say the same for Batman actually. I think it's part of why the retro fusion look adopted for Batman the animated series and also Superman work so well.

I like this idea too, I think Peter Jackson setting his King Kong in period as well means it has a good chance of being a well-done flick...
AerobicsInstructor
Superman's Pal

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »

I want this trilogy of Tom De Haven and the one of Derby Dugan to compare both novels on Superman but in Castilian.  They help me to know where I can buy it or if I can do it by Internet.  

Thanks.

Martín Tapia

martin_tapia1@yahoo.com.ar
Teléfono: 9902-1400

King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 04:02:39 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"

I think the character is so timeless you could put him back in period and still have it work for a modern audience. Hell, it might even be better. Though that doesn't mean I want to have him just being able to leap or wearing sandels instead of boots.

Given everything that has come down the pike for the character in the past 20 years or so, I'd be very inclined to put him back into period so that he would not be so downwind of trend and a victim of alot of efforts to force him to "change with the times". Yes the character has been adapted to the shifting enviorment before but the past 20 years seem to have demonstrated an inability to do that without breaking or over analyzing the very things that make him work in the first place. Heck there are some folks who seem convinced the only way to modernize him is to not have him fly and take away his costume.

Also, putting him back in period would have another purpose which is to restablish him as THE first superhero. You could have his regular adventures happening in period but you could also do stories with him in modern times where he's older and is the example for others.

The "Superman shouldn't fly or wear a costume" attitude is one I've been seeing a lot of in recent years. From Hollywood types like Jon Peters and Tim Burton (who very nearly did exactly that to Superman in the late '90s) to comic book fanboys of an Iron Age mentality ("Batman rules because he's dark and gritty and doesn't have powers, Superman stinks because he's bright and powerful and doesn't angst"). I don't think putting Superman back in a period setting would change that attitude. People who are predisposed to hate the character are going to hate him no matter what unless he's warped into their own twisted image.

Ultimately, I think the period and setting of Superman (1938-1940s, 1950s, contemporary, whatever) is irrevelant. What matters is fidelity to the character, what he's all about, and telling the story well. If you're true to who and what Superman is and you tell a good story, you've done your job. The rest is just window dressing.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L