superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 248594 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2005, 05:31:23 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Quote from: "Captain Kal"
The point of these examples is that at times, Superman resists magic due to some instance when he is no longer thinking about the effects on his body.

The problem with this is that it doesn't explain those times where he has no particular reason to believe something is magical until after it hurt him, like Diana's sword and any number of things where Superman says something like "ouch, must be magic" after the fact.  Perhaps that could be explained as "magic still hurts him a little, but the fact that he feels that it's magic means it could hurt him more makes him hurt more", but that can get convoluted.

That comment isn't actually mine but probably Knightshifter's or Wakanda's from that site.

My own position is that magic obviously is different in a mysterious way from conventional science, perhaps in the spirit of Clarke's Law.  Sure, he doesn't have to be aware it's magickal for it to affect him since he'll still experience the same mysterious/mystical forces.  Whether he's aware of it or not, it's still outside his comprehension and acceptance.

But give him a fatal encounter situation and he inevitably survives and does so with a whole body and soul.  That does suggest his survival instinct kicks in for those instances.

(Of course, in the real world, script immunity is the true root cause of his surviving those uber-magickal encounters.)  :lol:

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2005, 06:23:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Kurt, do you think that comics will ever pull out of this obsession with dark gruesome storylines and cheap shock value that have been more or less the norm for so long?

No idea.  I hate to keep giving "it all depends" answers, but everybody's got a different threshold for what they consider obsession, dark, gruesome and cheap.  So there might come a point where I think things are delightful and you hate 'em, or vice versa.

The one thing we can all count on is that the major publishers will do more of whatever succeeds, so if readers start buying upbeat whimsy in large numbers, then there'll be a lot more of it.

For my part, I hope for variety -- I like dark and gruesome stuff when it's well done, and I like light and sunny stuff when it's well done, too.  So I want both, and more besides.

kdb
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2005, 06:40:40 PM »

Kurt,

Any news on the companion piece to Superman: SI that you can share?

(and if you answer with "it depends", I will force you to say your name backwards!)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2005, 07:17:32 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Kurt,

Any news on the companion piece to Superman: SI that you can share?

Ti Sdneped!

It's under way, actually, and looking good, but it won't be announced until it's a lot closer to done.

I will have another DC-related announcement somewhere in about a month, though...

kdb
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2005, 08:36:04 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"

No idea.  I hate to keep giving "it all depends" answers, but everybody's got a different threshold for what they consider obsession, dark, gruesome and cheap.  So there might come a point where I think things are delightful and you hate 'em, or vice versa.

The one thing we can all count on is that the major publishers will do more of whatever succeeds, so if readers start buying upbeat whimsy in large numbers, then there'll be a lot more of it.

For my part, I hope for variety -- I like dark and gruesome stuff when it's well done, and I like light and sunny stuff when it's well done, too.  So I want both, and more besides.

kdb

Thank you for answering. I appreciate it. I should have made my question more specific in that I was refering to the superhero genre  rather than comics as a whole. I think in comics as a medium theres room for darn near everything for everybody.

With superheroes I don't think it has to be a choice between whimsy and darkness. It seems like whenever someone voices an objection to the glut of darkfic and shock value stuff on the stand people naturally assume that you're calling for a verbatum return of the Silver Age. I don't think that a spirit of adventure, action with heroes who are good and true that can appeal to both children and adults alike is something limited to a certain era.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2005, 08:46:09 PM »

I will have another DC-related announcement somewhere in about a month, though...

kdb

Oh, goody!

From that, I think we can safely assume Mr. Busiek will be gracing us with more DC stories.

While this is more wishing than based on the facts, maybe he'll even be on a Superman book or project. (No, I'm not asking you for unfair spoiler info, Kurt.)

It's just an odd coincidence that he started slumming with us a short while before he's going to make that announcement.  Naaah, I'm just grasping at straws ...

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
It's just an odd coincidence that he started slumming with us a short while before he's going to make that announcement.  Naaah, I'm just grasping at straws ...

That was more a matter of Google introducing Google Blog Search, and me doing a search on "busiek."

This isn't a blog, but for whatever reason, Google included it...

kdb
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2005, 10:55:10 PM »

Kurt,

That was more a matter of Google introducing Google Blog Search, and me doing a search on "busiek."

This isn't a blog, but for whatever reason, Google included it...

It's picking up on superman.nu's RSS feed, which things besides blogs can have, and which its FAQ says it's keying in on.  I noticed that in searching for myself (well. my "secret identity") a couple weeks ago.  I suspect that Google will need to refine the heuristics depending on how many non-blog uses for RSS/Atom feeds become popular.  

Will the project you're announcing in a month or so take place in the mainstream DCU?

Heck, with Infinite Crisis, will there be a mainstream DCU in a month?  Smiley  Will this upcoming project be tied into IC or 52 at all?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L