superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:03:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 248587 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2005, 10:24:13 PM »

Quote from: "DakotaSmith"
I think it would make sense for Supes to have some gravitational weaknesses.  I've thought that if he and Starboy were to duke it out, for example, Starboy ought to be able to get some kind of advantage by being able to transform Supes' local gravitational field to, oh, a hundred gees or so, and pin him to the spot.

It might not stop his vision powers, but a hundred gees should put a crimp in his flight and super-strength abilities.

Dakota Smith

There is a Jack Kriby Jimmy O story in which Superman fights gravity monsters and has a loty of trouble with them, actually he was in deep trouble, until he was saved.

They were Darkseid's baddies called Gravi-Guards.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2005, 02:12:45 AM »

I like to think the gravity differences get Superman to Action Comics #1 "leap .125 mile" levels, and the yellow sun takes him the rest of the way.

On a completely unrelated note -- Kurt, what's your favorite Red K effect?  Green K was overused to the point of silliness in pre-Crisis, but I really did like the Red K stories.  That's something I hope a new writer of Superman could introduce more of.  You see Red K in L&C and Smallville, but writers tend to make it have mental effects (getting "high", turning into a slacker), probably because it's cheaper.  I miss the more-bizarre stuff, the variety.
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #170 on: October 18, 2005, 04:44:32 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
On a completely unrelated note -- Kurt, what's your favorite Red K effect?

I can't say I remember a whole lot -- Julie Schwartz didn't use the stuff anywhere near as often as Mort, and it's the Julie stuff that has always drawn my interest.

But it's hard to compete with the ant-head effect.  That was red-K, right?

kdb
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2005, 04:53:14 AM »

Yes, yes it was... Cool
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2005, 05:16:39 AM »

BZZ-BZZ!

kdb
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2005, 11:50:58 AM »

The funny thing about the red k super ants yarn is that it appeared word for word in the sunday Superman strip drawn by Wayne Boring months before.

Yes Im a sucker for giant mummy ants. :wink:
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2005, 03:29:42 PM »

Quote from: "DakotaSmith"
I think it would make sense for Supes to have some gravitational weaknesses.  I've thought that if he and Starboy were to duke it out, for example, Starboy ought to be able to get some kind of advantage by being able to transform Supes' local gravitational field to, oh, a hundred gees or so, and pin him to the spot.

It might not stop his vision powers, but a hundred gees should put a crimp in his flight and super-strength abilities.

Dakota Smith

Got that right, DakotaSmith, and it was actually used in a number of stories.

Off the top of my head ...

Geo-Force once increased gravity on Superman to make a fight between them more even.

Merlyn, the archer (a nemesis of Green Arrow), used a heavy-grav inducing arrow stuck to Superman's chest to pin him to the ground and out of action.

E-2 Alexei Luthor used high-G cables duplicating Krypton's gravity to trap Superman and drag him across the universe into a black hole trap.

Momentus (aka Asa Esaak -- DC's homage to Isaac Asimov) used his control of gravity to get the better of Superman.

Brainiac's computer world had trapped Superman with high-G devices.

Star Boy once downed a crazed Mon-El by duplicating Daxam's gravity on him with his power. (Mon had been driven nuts by Lady Memory using his 1,000 years of memories to overwhelm the poor guy.)

IMHO, while Superman could normally lift things far heavier than 100 x his own weight, if it's a Krypton-specific-level grav field, his physiology is keyed to depower physically just as the specific radiation signature of Krypton's red sun depowers his solar-based powers.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »

Kurt, what is your take on death in comics and the resurrection of dead characters?

Would you do such a return from the dead story?

Or would you rather use a variant like a relative or someone taking up the mantle of the deceased character instead?

What are your thoughts on how Superman was killed and revived?

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L