superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:02:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 248612 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2005, 07:13:11 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Or does their past rep and quality of work determine that pay scale?

Popularity, rather than quality, is the key.  Guys who sell a lot of books get offered higher page rates.

kdb

Cool.  Then Carlos Meglia (*blecch!*) would -- and should! -- be paid less than van Scriver or Ross if they did a Superman book.  Surely, Meglia's kindergarten-kid-on-acid style is nowhere near as popular as the likes of Ross.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
1) Why doesn't Superman have a GL ring?

He's not engaged to Green Lantern.

2) What should Pete Ross do when he grows up?

I'm thinking "former President" is the color of his parachute.

3) Is Lang a Chinese name?

My wife says it's Scandinavian.  Wing Fo Lang, though, disagrees.

4) Has Jimmy Olsen sued Tucker Carlson for impersonating him?

The true reason for the cancellation of Crossfire!  

5) Which real-life person was Bizarro based upon?

Mort Weisinger always played it coy.  Francisco Pizarro?  Camille Pisarro?  No man can say!

6) What is the airspeed of an unladen Superman in flight?

Would that be an African or European Superman?

kdb
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2005, 07:18:21 PM »

kdb

LOL  Someone's been watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

:lol:

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2005, 07:23:11 PM »

Cool.  Then Carlos Meglia (*blecch!*) would -- and should! -- be paid less than van Scriver or Ross if they did a Superman book.  Surely, Meglia's kindergarten-kid-on-acid style is nowhere near as popular as the likes of Ross.

In America, at least.  I first encountered Meglia's work when his CYBERSIX was nominated for Best Foreign Album at Angouleme, the same year MARVELS was.  Neither of us won, but I'm guessing he sells pretty well in Europe and South America (he's Argentinian).

I think he's an amazing talent, and would love to work with him someday.  Not on Superman, though.

Keep in mind, though, as you're celebrating the idea that Ethan Van Sciver gets paid better than artists whose work you don't enjoy -- it's true of popular artists you hate and unpopular ones you like, too.  Rob Liefeld gets paid better than Curt Swan ever did, and Michael Turner probably out-earns Jerry Ordway.

kdb
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2005, 07:51:45 PM »

Point well taken, Kurt.

My own suspicion is the bean-counters at the publishers will invest in popular, high-priced talent to kindle or revive interest in a book, then when the book seems to be doing well, they'll put low-budget talent on it to save the bucks and hope they can coast on the rep of the previous good talent to rub off on the lesser ones.  We've seen it on the Superman books and Superman, by virtue of his place in comics history and visibility, tends to get the dregs of the talent shuffle.

Hey, wasn't that the marketing philosophy of that guy who nearly bankrupted Marvel?  He refused to pay the talent thinking the characters sold themselves so creators were irrelevant.  Welcome to Image, guys.

IMHO

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2005, 08:02:45 PM »

My own suspicion is the bean-counters at the publishers will invest in popular, high-priced talent to kindle or revive interest in a book, then when the book seems to be doing well, they'll put low-budget talent on it to save the bucks and hope they can coast on the rep of the previous good talent to rub off on the lesser ones.

The bean-counters don't make those decisions.  And I've never once heard of a publisher deciding that a book is selling, so let's slash the budget.

We've seen it on the Superman books and Superman, by virtue of his place in comics history and visibility, tends to get the dregs of the talent shuffle.

I don't think this is true either.  Whatever era of Superman you're thinking of, you may not have liked the creators working on them, but be they Joe Kelly, Roger Sterm, Greg Rucka or whomever, they weren't considered the dregs by any stretch, and weren't being paid bargain rates.

Hey, wasn't that the marketing philosophy of that guy who nearly bankrupted Marvel?

No.  The Image guys were extremely well paid.  Their beef seemed to me to be more about control, respect and ancillary rights (like, say, getting a share of the money from a Spider-Man T-shirt featuring their art) than about page rate or publishing royalties.

He refused to pay the talent thinking the characters sold themselves so creators were irrelevant.

Not true on at least a couple of counts -- first, the decision to promote the characters rather than the creators had nothing whatsoever to do with bankrupting Marvel, and during that period, top talent was paid insanely well.  And I don't think the decision was made by Perlman.

What bankrupted Marvel was corporate finance outside the realm of publishing -- publishing made a profit the whole time, but Marvel was unable to service debt saddled on them by unwise purchases of other companies.

kdb
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2005, 08:42:03 PM »

Or does their past rep and quality of work determine that pay scale?

Popularity, rather than quality, is the key.  Guys who sell a lot of books get offered higher page rates.

kdb

I'm not a fan of Meguilas artwork, I agree he pushes it too far but at the same time I've never been able to abide prejudice against "cartoony" artsyles. The kind of scorn that Ed McGuiness's work got when he did Superman (you'd think the guy had never been drawn with squinty eyes before) or Mike Weringo just boggles my mind. Though that's not to say I don't have my own preferences. I've posted before about how I think Lenil Yus work was just an ill fit for Birthright. But at the same time if I try to say Lenil Yu shouldn't draw Superman that opens the door to say that guys like Ed and Mike are off limits.

I do think some consideration should be given for the purpose, tone and goal of the project. Yus layouts were good for Birthright but his figure drawing style and shading would seem to suit a much darker kind of story.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2005, 08:46:55 PM »

LOL  Someone's been watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

:lol:

As you've probably figured out by now, it was part of a nefarious plot to get Kurt to expose secret DC information he didn't want us to know!  Of course, we all knew there was an African Superman, back when Priest outed him as Eddie Murphy's Wakandan bodyguard in the movie Coming To America. reprinted in Black Panther #300.  (IIRC, African Superman is currently playing basketball for the Miami Heat.)  But European Superman is new!  I have a hunch this additional Superman will figure prominently in Impotent Crisis, and we heard it here first on superman.nu!  Awesome!

So, what's the name of the Fifth Dimension's equivalent to Arkham, again?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L