superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:04:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 248599 times)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2005, 03:51:02 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
I was just questioning if  a primary or significant response to a story seems to be to question where it fits into continuity, and the point of the story wasn't about introducing a  continuity twist but to get to some other places, is that really a good story?

I'm not sure I can untangle that, beyond saying that the original example -- not having Superman refer back to an earlier story -- would be unlikely to make people confused about where it fits in continuity, any more than him not mentioning his college days makes people think the story might be set before them, and that since the general reaction to the Thunderbolts storyline we're discussing was that it was quite a good story, then sure, why not?  [Heck, for that matter, nobody seemed confused about where the T-Bolts story fit into continuity either.]

Adding "not intentionally" or "unless there's other choice" might work, too.

I don't think so.  It might make the line more descriptive of actual history, but it makes it both less powerful and out of character -- Hawkeye's not delivering a historical dissertation that accounts for every possible example, he's yelling at someone.  It's just not necessary, in that context, for him to be that specific; he's making a general statement.

Or maybe you could delve into how he felt when Mockingbird killed or something.

Why would he?  That he feels bad about her death has nothing to do with whether heroes should or shouldn't kill -- she was killed by Mephisto.  So if he did that, he wouldn't be mentioning any earlier killings by Avengers (the original point) or bringing up an example that alters or even expands on his point.

It'd just be a continuity mention for the sake of continuity mentions.  He could also mention how he felt when his brother died, or his parents, but it doesn't actually add anything to his point, since none of them were killed by people acting as (or trying to act as) heroes.

By contrast, Superman having a conversation of "I was a killer" just sounds wrong - not just turgid - on so many levels.

Well, keep in mind that my original comment was that I wouldn't refer back to the earlier story, so no worries there.

kdb
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2005, 05:25:15 AM »

Or maybe you could delve into how he felt when Mockingbird killed or something.

Why would he?  That he feels bad about her death has nothing to do with whether heroes should or shouldn't kill -- she was killed by Mephisto.  So if he did that, he wouldn't be mentioning any earlier killings by Avengers (the original point) or bringing up an example that alters or even expands on his point.

When Mockingbird killed, not died -- think Phantom Rider who she let die, not Mephisto, and the reaction that Hawkeye had to that.  

But this is feeling less like a Superman discussion all the time.   So, on a completely different note:

Where would you have Superman's Fortress be?

a) Arctic
b) Antarctic
c) Andes
d) A treehouse in Kansas
e) 344 Clinton, 3D
f) The Phantom Zone
g) Kandor
h) Center of the sun
i) Core of the earth
j) Dark side of the moon
k) Mountain range near Metropolis
l) Fifth Dimension
m) The Batcave
n) Htrae
o) A glorithfied pocket dimension
p) 1600 Pennsylvania, DC
q) One Microsoft Way, WA
r) One Infinite Loop, CA
s) Krypto's doghouse
t) Streaky's cathouse
u) The Supremacy
v) The Closet
w) Themyscira
x) Marzal
y) Why did I get rid of the woobie?
z) [fill in the blank]
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2005, 06:08:49 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
When Mockingbird killed, not died -- think Phantom Rider who she let die, not Mephisto, and the reaction that Hawkeye had to that.  

Ah, I see where I misread.  I still don't think it adds anything, other than to say he's taken the same kind of stance before.  I can see him talking about it in a more reflective conversation at another time, but since his reasoning for why Abe should turn himself in isn't, "Because it'll make me feel bad," how he felt in other situations is less relevant than the underlying stance, which he articulated clearly.

Where would you have Superman's Fortress be?
a) Arctic
b) Antarctic
c) Andes
d) A treehouse in Kansas
e) 344 Clinton, 3D
f) The Phantom Zone
g) Kandor
h) Center of the sun
i) Core of the earth
j) Dark side of the moon
k) Mountain range near Metropolis
l) Fifth Dimension
m) The Batcave
n) Htrae
o) A glorithfied pocket dimension
p) 1600 Pennsylvania, DC
q) One Microsoft Way, WA
r) One Infinite Loop, CA
s) Krypto's doghouse
t) Streaky's cathouse
u) The Supremacy
v) The Closet
w) Themyscira
x) Marzal
y) Why did I get rid of the woobie?
z) [fill in the blank]

a), b) or z).  I actually have a "z" idea, but I'll keep it to myself -- you never know, I might get to use it.  h) and i) aren't bad, either.

kdb
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2005, 10:17:16 PM »

Kurt, how many forums do you post at regularly to answer questions? It's mind-boggling that you make the rounds so much, and I'm sure I haven't seen them all.

Thank you for being so generous with your time.

I suppose you recall what it was like to see your letters answered in the old letter columns and like to pass on that feeling a little to the fans who are around now.
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2005, 02:32:16 AM »

Quote from: "Continental Op"
Kurt, how many forums do you post at regularly to answer questions?

Too many!

I suppose you recall what it was like to see your letters answered in the old letter columns and like to pass on that feeling a little to the fans who are around now.

Oh, heck, no.  I just like talking comics -- I feel like one of the letter-writers still, not the answerers.

kdb
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2005, 02:48:10 AM »

If only Guy H Lillian III and Irene Vartanoff were here too. :wink: S!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2005, 04:28:57 AM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
Quote from: "Continental Op"
Kurt, how many forums do you post at regularly to answer questions?

Too many!

Oh, heck, no.  I just like talking comics -- I feel like one of the letter-writers still, not the answerers.

kdb

That's good to know Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
VanZee
Supermen of America

« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2005, 05:14:55 AM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
I just like talking comics

Wonderful.  Then perhaps you'll answer what you think are the most emotionally resonate comics stories you've encountered.  The very idea of superheroes means they must, in some sense, celebrate or suffer their heroism in some larger-than-life way.  This makes for great storytelling.  What are your favorite storylines/story arcs?  Why?  Many thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L