superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 250094 times)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2005, 05:28:06 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. Busiek.  Concerning Superboy-Prime, I agree with your assessment that young Clark would be FAR more interesting had he remained on Earth-Prime and continued his Superboy career in secret.  Unfortunately, Superboy-Prime's cover was blown in DC Comics Presents #87, as there were too many witnesses who saw him and Superman at the Clark residence -- friends, neighbors, policemen and Laurie Lemmon (and you NEVER reveal your superhero persona to your girlfriend until right before the marriage proposal!)   :wink:  

Yep.  As shown in S:SI, my interest is in the character in the context he was in for the set-up, not so much in where they went with it.

If you don't mind my asking, I've always been puzzled by Justice League of America #240 (July 1985).  What was the deal with Dr. Anomaly?  I felt it odd that this plot line was never followed up, though the Crisis obviously threw things in a turmoil and retconned some JLA adventures.  But it seemed a waste after going through all the effort introducing a new character, only to have him immediately disappear after only one issue, never to be seen again.

There was, in fact, a sequel done, featuring the 1968 League travelling to the present to stop Dr. A, who had vibrationally-displaced all the heroes of that era.  It was drawn by Bill Willingham, and never lettered, because Bill didn't leave any darn space for the word balloons.  I offered to rework the script and try to fit it, but the new editor chose to scrap it, due to post-Crisis continuity.

Boy, if Dr. Anomaly resurfaces in the upcoming Crisis, that WOULD be a shocker!   Smiley

Not just to you!

kdb
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 06:08:39 AM »

Thank you again for your response, Mr. Busiek.  I always thought Justice League of America #240 was the beginning of at least a two-issue adventure, and I've long suspected that Post-Crisis continuity concerns scuttled the intended sequel.  It would have been hard explaning the 1968 League when the post-Crisis Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman weren't founding members anymore, and "1968" would have to be advanced forward under the "sliding timeline".

I was surprised to learn that artwork/dialogue problems played a part in cancelling Part II, though.  It's very interesting to read the "behind the scenes" story behind the comic pages -- I'm sure there were many other stories "in the pipeline" that were also Crisis victims, but most readers never hear about "what could have been".

Hmm... I'm still wondering if Dr. Anomaly might make a "token' appearance soon, just to preserve DC Comic's trademark protections.  A lot of "forgotten" characters have recently shown up, and I'm positive their presence was dictated by DC's legal department to prove they were still "in use" and not abandoned to the public domain.

Thank you once again, Mr. Busiek.

DTO
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »

Kurt, thanks again!  Again, at your convenience...  

- How "immortal" is Superman in your mind?  Do you see him ever dying of "natural causes" (to the extent natural causes ever exists for a DCU hero)?  How aware is he of his immortality... does he know he will/won't age like a mortal?  Superman writers have had vasty different takes on this, and it'd seem to go a long way toward how he behaves, even in the here and now where he doesn't have grey hair.  I know how I'd want to attach to and care for the mortals in my life, how badly I wanted to learn that neat hobby I never have time for, etc., would change if I knew that, barring injury, I really would live until the end of time.  No one knows just how long they have, but even just having a broad idea changes things.

- Lex Luthor is first and foremost a:

a) scientist
  b) businessman
  c) politician
  d) hair-club-for-men reject
  e) {fill in the blank}

My sense is that most of the folks here (including me) like Maggin's take on Luthor as a scientist with amusing disposable identities.  Luthor as the Kingpin or President never did it for me in a long-term sens.  Heck, if Luthor were a politician, he'd be Karl Rove, not some trifling figurehead. I admit that Luthor the businessman during the first season of Lois and Clark was great stuff.  

- Who's your favorite under-exposed Superman nemesis that you feel you can talk about?
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »

BTW, happy belated birthday.  Kurt turned 29 years old for the <mumble mumbleth> time on the 16th, as I discovered on the Astro City boards while looking for the release date for the Local Heroes TPB.  (I buy all the Astro City TPBs and try to not spoil things by reading about them in advance, so I rarely visit that board despite being a huge fan.  Smiley )
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 05:52:43 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
I'm still wondering if Dr. Anomaly might make a "token' appearance soon, just to preserve DC Comic's trademark protections.

I don't think DC cares about Dr. A -- I doubt they'd go to any effort to maintain trademark on the name.

A lot of "forgotten" characters have recently shown up, and I'm positive their presence was dictated by DC's legal department to prove they were still "in use" and not abandoned to the public domain.

I wouldn't be so sure.  That sort of thing happens only rarely -- for instance, in 23 years of professional writing, I've never been asked to write a character into anything for trademark reasons.

You may simply be assuming DC is asking for this, when actually it's just that there are writers up there of late who likey the obscure guys...

kdb
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
How "immortal" is Superman in your mind?  Do you see him ever dying of "natural causes" (to the extent natural causes ever exists for a DCU hero)?  How aware is he of his immortality... does he know he will/won't age like a mortal?  Superman writers have had vasty different takes on this, and it'd seem to go a long way toward how he behaves, even in the here and now where he doesn't have grey hair.

I expect this varies from writer to writer, as you note, so I can't answer the question with any finality.  The Superman I like, though, got old and had children (in "future" stories), and I like that, so were it up to me, I'd keep it.

Lex Luthor is first and foremost a:
  a) scientist
  b) businessman
  c) politician
  d) hair-club-for-men reject
  e) {fill in the blank}

e) fink!

I grew up with scientist Lex, but like businessman Lex as well.  My main concern with Lex is that he should be a compelling adversary for Superman, and his enmity for Superman should be emotionally-based -- his intellect is in service of rage, whether it's over Superboy balding him unexpectedly, or taking the love of "his" city away.

- Who's your favorite under-exposed Superman nemesis that you feel you can talk about?

That I can talk about?

For real obscurities, I gotta say, I like Microwave Man...

kdb
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 06:28:12 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"

I wouldn't be so sure.  That sort of thing happens only rarely -- for instance, in 23 years of professional writing, I've never been asked to write a character into anything for trademark reasons.

kdb

The only case of this that I know of, is of Marvel Comics releasing a new Captain Marvel mini every few years to keep the trademark so that DC can't use it for the titles of Captain Marvel, thus forcing them to use "Shazam!" instead.  

Other than that, I can't think of another case of this happening. Obscure guys are obscure for a reason Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 08:52:07 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

The only case of this that I know of, is of Marvel Comics releasing a new Captain Marvel mini every few years to keep the trademark so that DC can't use it for the titles of Captain Marvel, thus forcing them to use "Shazam!" instead.  

Other than that, I can't think of another case of this happening. Obscure guys are obscure for a reason Wink

If I remember right, Marvel put Claremont's Starlord into a Forbush-man vignette in order to preserve the former's copyright. At least that's what the strip claimed. Might've been a joke, of course, but I don't think they'd have come up with a joke about it if it didn't get done for real sometimes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L