superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 250209 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »

I also like the Scientist/Business Lex.  It shows that Lex is so completely brilliant, that he can do anything - and that he does, using secret wheels within wheels.  This interpretation actually pre-dates Maggin, and goes back to the second Kirk Alyn movie serial, where Lex was the genius bald criminally mad scientist who, after he got out of jail, started up a television station business, and even hired Lois Lane as his "Man in the Street" TV reporter.  The public thought he had gone straight, but Superman eventually discovered otherwise and chased Lex off the planet in his (Luthor's) secret get-away rocket ship.

Oh, Luthor also discovered the Phantom Zone and attempted to trap Superman in it.  (You'll have to watch it to find out if he succeeded.)

Fantastic stuff, and the best Luthor portrayal I've ever seen.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2005, 08:46:46 PM »

I'm glad to see you posting here, Mr. Busiek. I post over at Millarworld (as "Justin) and I've enjoyed reading your responses to questions there.

I have two questions:

1: How does one become a comic book writer? Are there certain requirements?

2: In your opinion, which writer would be the best person to write Superman right now? Who do you think understands the character best and could create great tales?

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2005, 10:17:59 PM »

2: In your opinion, which writer would be the best person to write Superman right now? Who do you think understands the character best and could create great tales?

Kurt answered essentially the same question a few posts up:

Were I to pick my fantasy Superman-writing team, Paul {Dini} would be on it, as would Alan Brennert and Paul Levitz.

kdb

Alan Brennert was the one that caught my eye, since I loved the stuff he did with Manny Coto on the last season of Enterprise, as well as his past work writing Batman.  He also wrote:

http://superman.nu/tales3/deadman-xmas/

which displays a healthy respect for Pre-Crisis Superman stuff that I think would be appreciated.
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2005, 10:44:56 PM »

Quote from: "NotSuper"
1: How does one become a comic book writer?

Basically, you write comics.  If you want to be a professional at it, you find editors or publishers willing to buy them.  It's generally a freelance gig, not a staff position.

Depending on what part of the question you're most interested in, you might do well to track down a copy of A WRITER'S GUIDE TO THE BUSINESS OF COMICS by Lurene Haines, which goes into the business side in a fair amount of detail.

Are there certain requirements?

You've got to be able to write salable stuff.  This requirement means different things to different publishers, mind you, but it's the only one that matters.

I don't think there's any one "best" writer for Superman -- he's one of those characters that can work well under very varied approaches, so it depends what direction you go in.

As noted, my dream team of Super-writers would include Alan Brennert, Paul Dini and Paul Levitz, but I doubt any of them are available.  My all-time favorite Super-writer is Cary Bates.

But there's a lot of people who I think do a good job, from Mark Waid to Geoff Johns to Roger Stern, Len Wein, Steve Englehart, and more.  I liked SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS a lot, and have liked Chuck Dixon's few tales with the guy.  I wouldn't mind taking a shot at the guy someday myself, under the right circumstances.

I dunno.  I expect my answers would vary depending on the time of the day and the angle of the light...

kdb
CRISISHATER
Superman Fan

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2005, 11:19:56 PM »

Kurt, I'm a great fan thanks for your work. I always viewed your Astro City #0 was a heartfelt tribute to the childhoods lost in Crisis revision of the DCU. It's been hard for me to return to DC over the years after Crisis. I generally loath what Byrne did Superman and can't stay away from these characters as they seem to be returning to oldtime mythos. Do you ever think we will ever see a Superboy who was Clark as a kid? I think if we did the Legion would be fixed. No one seems to remember it went to hell when Superboy was wiped.

Crisis and man of steel ruined the Superman mythos

Please Assist New Orleans if you can. Give food, water. Be careful where you send your money.
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »

Quote from: "CRISISHATER"
Do you ever think we will ever see a Superboy who was Clark as a kid?

I think you mean that the other way around.

In any case, I have no idea.  Were it up to me, I'd try doing some Superboy stories featuring a young Clark as Superboy, designed as done-in-one albums and published in something like the classic Little Golden Book format, for distribution through bookstores.  I wouldn't worry much about continuity -- I don't think the bookstore audience cares.

kdb
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2005, 11:48:40 PM »

For Kurt and others:  

Does the Legion even need Superboy at this point?  

In the '60s, sure, Superboy was what made the thing work as a comic.
But I don't think it's needed today, FWIW.  

I liked the Legion all by itself, as sort of a long-running possible-future Elseworlds.  I never liked it as an entity that interacted with the modern era in great ways.
CRISISHATER
Superman Fan

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2005, 12:10:21 AM »

There is no Legion without Superboy! The last fifteen years have proved it. Kurt, agree with you about continuity. I don't see why we can't just have good stories with characters that we love....I mean there is a Krypto cartoon that's doing well. Wouldn't Superboy be even better? Why does DC tie it's own creative hands?

Crisis and man of steel ruined the Superman mythos

Please Assist New Orleans if you can. Give food, water. Be careful where you send your money.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L