superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 250181 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2005, 12:04:58 AM »

FWIW, I was referring to the "S" logo Superman had in Action Comics #1, which was a 3-side triangle rather than a a 5-sided diamond cut, didn't have any red in it, and for all I know might have some perverse legal encumberance associated with it since I rarely see it used. I wasn't going to speculate too much on what crazy crap the lawyers may come up with, so I err on the side of farce.

erm...

on sale in 2006 http://dccomics.com/media/products/4087_a_full.jpg

also from 1998:

http://superman.nu/tales2/thesuperman/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2005, 12:52:41 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
FWIW, I was referring to the "S" logo Superman had in Action Comics #1, which was a 3-side triangle rather than a a 5-sided diamond cut, didn't have any red in it, and for all I know might have some perverse legal encumberance associated with it since I rarely see it used. I wasn't going to speculate too much on what crazy crap the lawyers may come up with, so I err on the side of farce.

erm...

on sale in 2006 http://dccomics.com/media/products/4087_a_full.jpg

also from 1998:

http://superman.nu/tales2/thesuperman/

Both those show an "S" logo with red in it.  Contrast with the actual Action Comics #1, where the cover shows a red "S" that looks more like a police badge than either a 3 or 5-sided object, and the inside depicts a yellow "S" with no red in it.  Actually, looking at it again in full and not just going from memory, the last panel of Action Comics #1 does look like what you have above, judging from the reprint online at:

http://superman.nu/tales2/action1/?page=-1

It's just a hypothetical example.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2005, 01:38:08 AM »

I've done a little bit of research, and have reached the following conclusion regarding Superman's S logo, which may or may not be accurate.

The police-badge shaped "shield" S that we see on the cover of Action Comics #1 was Jerry Siegel's original design for the logo, and was only used in pre-1936-ish drawings.

The yellow triangle design is used inside Action and we also see it on the cover to Superman #1 (on which the above forthcoming action figure is based).  This was a later redesign.

That's my theory Smiley.  Corrections are welcome.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2005, 01:38:31 AM »

http://dccomics.com/media/products/3200_a_full.jpg
Superman, the world's first super-hero, made his debut in 1938's ACTION COMICS #1! Celebrate this landmark first appearance with a stunning action figure representing the MAN OF STEEL's original costume! The SUPERMAN ACTION FIGURE measures approximately 6 7/8" tall, features multiple points of articulation and a cloth cape. This figure includes a base and a mini-reproduction of the comic in which the character first appeared and is packaged in a 4-color deluxe blister.

It is clear that DC owns that logo and has used it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2005, 01:40:27 AM »

Looks like they colored his sandles wrong again...

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2005, 01:45:57 AM »

- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2005, 02:46:01 AM »

I like the fly on the original trunks, apparently Golden Age Supes as conceived for a comic strip couldn't fly into the sun to re-charge his Super Bladder -- but darn that the "science" behind the mythos never covered that... Cool
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2005, 01:59:33 AM »

Kurt, how do you feel about blue "Electric Superman"?

As our savior of Superman for this thread, can you promise that you will never impose Bluperman Freakazoid upon us, should you ever get a chance to write him?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L