superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:43:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can save Superman now? KURT BUSIEK!  (Read 252392 times)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2005, 07:59:36 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
The very best comics for my money were those who didn't follow any rules and did whatever was best for the story to be told.

IMHO Wink

Yes, but let's not forget:  You're a lab monkey from outer space.

kdb
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2005, 08:03:21 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
The very best comics for my money were those who didn't follow any rules and did whatever was best for the story to be told.

IMHO Wink

kdb

who wears a cape Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2005, 01:00:29 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Two, please have you or someone else do the comics science and powers instead of him.  He doesn't do very well in that area -- If you've seen my criticism posts on that you know what I mean.  Heck, you're a bright guy obviously much more qualified than I am so I'm sure you've noted the same things.

I've been refraining from responding until now, but I have a confession to make.  

It's all MY fault.  Blame me.

Geoff Johns and I grew up in the same neck of the woods -- Clarkston, Michigan.  We went to the same high school and probably shared a few of the same science teachers.  An "idealized" rendition is Clarkston, MI is documented in THE THING: FREAKSHOW (the Kree/Skrull invasion part is pretty accurate, but the bit about cows in Clarkston is bogus... he was probably referring to nearby Ortonville).  Geoff was a waiter at a place I would go to every once in awhile with my girlfriend at the time, before she became a psycho hose beast ex-girlfriend.  

I should have recognized the spark of comic book greatness that was within him!  Instead of tipping him with dollar bills, I should have left him little notes like: "Know and love superstring theory, for it will help you to put Superman's powers in a rational framework."  In hindsight, it's clear I should have intercepted him before he did the excreable thing of going to the church of Richard Donner and learning <shudder> storytelling!  But NOOOoooo...  instead I simply tipped him 15-20% and never bothered to nip his bad pseudoscience in the bud, and now poor victims like Captain Kal have to suffer for it.  

I beseech forgiveness!!!

And on a serious note for Kurt...  if there's anything I'd want you to use your influence on Geoff Johns over, it'd be to see if he could dig up Tom Manciewicz and see if he's interested in writing Superman.  Besides being the script doctor for the Superman movie, he also wrote Hart To Hart, one of the few adventure shows about happily married people that didn't suck.  He'd be ideal for the Clark + Lois relationship, assuming that's not part of the status quo that you're going to mess with in that 8-part story arc.  Smiley
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2005, 03:08:42 AM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"

IMHO Wink

kdb

who wears a cape Smiley

And  evidently red trunks as well!~:s:
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #300 on: November 27, 2005, 03:22:00 AM »

Well, your call, Kurt.  I can't make you do anything -- and vice versa when you think about it.

I am astonished given the prevailing attitude of this community that no one else even wanted to hint at a less gruesome attempt at the superbooks.  Only I had the nerve to ask.  Silly me.

And I still correctly called it over a month ago that you were going to be on a Superman project.  Whether you choose to acknowledge that or not, it's still true.

I should really get around to tallying up the number of true vs false calls I've made over the years to see how they balance out.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #301 on: November 27, 2005, 03:32:38 AM »

I am astonished given the prevailing attitude of this community that no one else even wanted to hint at a less gruesome attempt at the superbooks. Only I had the nerve to ask. Silly me.

Yes, you are being silly, Kurt is not an idiot, he can figure out what version of Superman we like best. I don't think it's our place to tell him what he should or should not write. That's his job Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #302 on: November 27, 2005, 03:43:40 AM »

Isn't this the same community -- heck all the fan communities are the same in this regard -- that misses the old lettercols that provided fan feedback on the books?

If we can't express our opinions even here, what's the point?

And, yes, Kurt, and anyone else, is free to accept or ignore any and all suggestions.  That doesn't mean we don't have the right to make them.

... Unless I've somehow missed a rule on this ...

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2005, 03:46:55 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Well, your call, Kurt.  I can't make you do anything -- and vice versa when you think about it.

I am astonished given the prevailing attitude of this community that no one else even wanted to hint at a less gruesome attempt at the superbooks.  Only I had the nerve to ask.  Silly me.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with me telling Geoff Johns to write more to your tastes.  If you feel that strongly about it -- and you clearly do -- why not send him an e-mail or a letter?

And I still correctly called it over a month ago that you were going to be on a Superman project.  Whether you choose to acknowledge that or not, it's still true.

Huh?  I don't understand.  Am I supposed to tell Geoff to write more to your tastes because you guessed right?

I guess I'm missing something here -- what does any of this have to do with me declining to tell Geoff to write differently on your behalf?  I declined, but I think I did so politely, and I pointed out ways you can pass on your requests yourself.  So where's the problem?

kdb
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L