superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greatest Superhero Movies Ever?  (Read 21218 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 07:38:10 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Not only do I more or less agree with the post, but it got me to look up the Whizzer, who it seems was a fine enough character in that he got a transfusion from a mongoose and was a functional GA character...

Taking it all too seriously is a big deal, why I get riled about "continuity" so much...how many times has Superman been stopped because someone was in danger from a criminal and how many OTHER times has he used his super speed to intervene before any criminal could even notice...you just can't really demand this kind of consistency or continuity, its tough enough to come up with an interesting and challenging storyline as it is...so I like to lean on character and good storytelling as my baramoter...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 08:30:17 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Not only do I more or less agree with the post, but it got me to look up the Whizzer, who it seems was a fine enough character in that he got a transfusion from a mongoose and was a functional GA character...

2 new thoughts on this topic:

1. I just saw Kung Fu Hustle on dvd and it blew me away, going to the top of my 10 best Superhero Movies immediately.  I'd urge everyone to see it.  Don't be dissuaded by the Kung Fu trappings: it is a really original and thrilling epic, hilarious and beautiful.  It makes you feel good about the potential of film.  Really.  And it is a real superhero movie. Really.

2. Picked up some Alan Moore comics at a yard sale this weekend (Promethea, Tom Strong, Top 10).  Thought, for 50 cents each, it's about time I read more of these (I read some of them on the rack when there was a buzz about them 10 years ago).  Anyway, the big joke in Top Ten, Moore's version of Hill Street Blues starring superheroes, is that one of the illegal rave drugs used by superhero teens is Mongoose Blood, used to dance at super-speed, invisible to the naked eye (luckily I read the Invaders/X-Men/Avengers as a kid, learning my Whizzer lore).  Lots of great, cute, comics in-jokes.  Top 10 was probably the best of the bunch, although I like some of the idea of Promethea and the idea of Alan Moore as a Shaman. (but seriously ...?)

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 10:38:57 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
2. Picked up some Alan Moore comics at a yard sale this weekend (Promethea, Tom Strong, Top 10).  Thought, for 50 cents each, it's about time I read more of these (I read some of them on the rack when there was a buzz about them 10 years ago).  Anyway, the big joke in Top Ten, Moore's version of Hill Street Blues starring superheroes, is that one of the illegal rave drugs used by superhero teens is Mongoose Blood, used to dance at super-speed, invisible to the naked eye (luckily I read the Invaders/X-Men/Avengers as a kid, learning my Whizzer lore).  Lots of great, cute, comics in-jokes.  Top 10 was probably the best of the bunch, although I like some of the idea of Promethea and the idea of Alan Moore as a Shaman. (but seriously ...?)

Seems at least as creative an idea as "splicing" in "Batman Beyond"...

I liked King Fu Hustle" too, and I'm not really a fan of the genre...
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »

On the subject of superhero movies, I'm a little shocked nobody mentioned Unbreakable. I personally love this movie on so many levels, it's in my top 10 for sure. It's  kind of a dark origin story that's a little slow in parts (due to the fact it was originally going to be a trilogy and they weren't working with megabucks), and *SPOILER*

the hero kills at the end.  But all in all it's a great movie, especially with the deleted scenes left in.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L