superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG news on Showcase collected editions  (Read 13981 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 09, 2005, 11:47:35 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, DC goes the extra mile, plus check out the new cover art!

Aug 9th, 2005 - DC Comics has lowered prices on the first two SHOWCASE collected editions, providing readers with over 500 pages of classic SUPERMAN and GREEN LANTERN stories for the incredible price of just $9.99!

Originally offered at $16.99 each, SHOWCASE PRESENTS SUPERMAN VOL. 1 and SHOWCASE PRESENTS GREEN LANTERN VOL. 1 paperbacks are scheduled to arrive in stores on September 14.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS SUPERMAN VOL. 1 collects stories from SUPERMAN #122-133 and ACTION COMICS #241-257, written by Jerry Siegel, Bill Finger and others, with art by Curt Swan, Dick Sprang and others.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS GREEN LANTERN VOL. 1 collects stories from SHOWCASE #22-24 and GREEN LANTERN #1-17, written by John Broome and Gardner Fox with art by Gil Kane, Joe Giella and Murphy Anderson.

Don't miss out — these titles are available at this special price for a limited time only!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 12:43:43 AM »

This is great news! That's one nice cover, too.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 05:07:26 PM »

Even though the Showcase Presents series will be just black-and-white inkwork (with no added graytones), this is an excellent value at less than two cents a page.  And as mentioned in other topic posts, this does spotlight the work of the penciler and inker.  I'll definitely look for both, and I'm not exactly a Green Lantern fan.   Smiley

DTO
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:57:50 PM »

Black and white?!! Hey for 9.99 Im not complain' - reminds me of the old Superman 30s-70s book.

And this can make GL affordable to me rather than the great E-Bay chase for ratty issues. I love the pseudo-scientific stuff in these yarns!
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:08:46 AM »

Even at black and white I think that it sounds great.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:10:59 PM »

I understand the concern of purists who want color, but the important thing is that this price point puts the books in the hands, potentially, of young readers.  And considering that's the audience they were intended for, that can't be a bad thing.

I'll probably get two of everthing.  One for my library and one for my kids to read to pieces.  Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 04:51:00 AM »

Heck, Ill read em to pieces! Smiley
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 09:35:12 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
Even though the Showcase Presents series will be just black-and-white inkwork.....

This is how I prefer the comics, so I would really enjoy these books. I like early Green Lantern, but I'm covered here by the few Archives I own. However, I'll go to a comic book store this weekend and see if they have the Superman one in stock.

I may have missed an earlier thread on these books, but are they basically DC's answer to the "Essentials"? (I'm all for it.) Super Monkey's post says, "Originally offered..." I must have missed them the first time around (??) - Were they in hardcover before?

Quote from: "Nightwing"
One for my library and one for my kids to read to pieces.

Don't tell me those kiddies are reading comic books already!! Your eldest prodigy must be all of two years old by now!  :read:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L