superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:07:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts & what ifs about a theoretical Real Multiverse.  (Read 22179 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 04:49:34 AM »

Well, yes.

But DC couldn't. You could distribute pirated DC comics to your heart's content to a parallel dimension. DC wouldn't stop you, because they would deny that parallel dimensions exist.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 05:31:09 AM »

Gangbuster Thorul do you have an imagination?  I was not talking about pirated DC Comics.  I was talking about supplying comics from other earths to stores in our universe.  There are most likely earths where companies like Malibu, Charlton, Fawcett, & Quality remained in business up untill the present.  At the very least.  In our universe Marvel bought Malibu, & DC bought many of the characters owned by Charlton, Fawcett, & Quality.  Imagine that your company distributes comics between several parallel earths.  In this scenario the reality of the multiverse has already been proven, legally & scientifically.  To almost everyone's satisfaction.  And as far as you are aware you & your company are the only ones with the means to explore the multiverse.  As well as transport matter, energy, & information throughout the multiverse.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 07:06:14 AM »

Heh --I can't imagine it either.  Why would our Earth's (let's call it Earth Prime, for convenience) DC admit that parallel Earth's exist?  Isn't that against their stated company policy?  The denial of quantum physics?  I guess I just don't have any imagination. Cheesy

I was not talking about pirated DC Comics.

Now maybe the DC brass on another Earth (let's call it, oh, Earth-1) went to college and took physics, so maybe on this Earth the Bronze Age never ended.  Now, on another Earth (Earth-2), superhero comics waned in popularity after WWII, but pirate comics prospered (ie, DC comics became "pirated").  DC editor Joe Orlando even drew some of them.  Now what would happen if the Joe Orlando's of all 3 worlds got together for a jam session.  Where would they publish it?  And on what Earth would collector's pay the most for back issues?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 07:51:55 AM »

Well if the reality of the multiverse were legally & scientifally proven (to almost everyone's satisfaction),  the "top brass" at DC could deny it all they want.  Nobody would care what DC's opinion was.  It would be funny though; everyone sees proof positive of infinite parallel universes, divergent timelines, inter-dimensional travel, & even eventually time travel;  Then DC starts screaming how there is only one universe.  The guys at DC would find themselves lumped in with "flat-earthers", "holocaust-deniers", & other fringe kooks.

I can imagine earths where genres other than superheroes dominate american comics.  On some earths it could be pirates.  On others it could be westerns, or horror, or science fiction, or romance.  Infinite possibilities.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 10:02:40 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
Well if the reality of the multiverse were legally & scientifally proven (to almost everyone's satisfaction),  the "top brass" at DC could deny it all they want.  Nobody would care what DC's opinion was.  It would be funny though; everyone sees proof positive of infinite parallel universes, divergent timelines, inter-dimensional travel, & even eventually time travel;  Then DC starts screaming how there is only one universe.  The guys at DC would find themselves lumped in with "flat-earthers", "holocaust-deniers", & other fringe kooks.

As a member of the Flat Earth Society, I object to that remark most strongly.  Cheesy

I can imagine earths where genres other than superheroes dominate american comics.  On some earths it could be pirates.  On others it could be westerns, or horror, or science fiction, or romance.  Infinite possibilities.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but if there are no superhero comics that achieve popularity, we would see a rise of appreciation and popularity for artists like Don Heck and Gil Kane, who, even when drawing superheroes, make their costumes look like real clothes, and while they can draw good looking women and everyday actions, they have problems with fantasy elements that supercomics emphasize, like robots and superspeed.

Of course, it might be interesting to view the geniuses of comics on our earth, on a counter-earth produce destructive schlock: namely, Steve Englehart's counterpart Stevil Engelhate, and Alan Moore's evil counterpart, Alan Less.

Hey, here's an idea: in an alternate future where the Vikings quit being such sissies and settled in the United States, would comic books be mile-long murals like that one of the Battle of Hastings?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 02:03:30 PM »

Gangbuster Thorul do you have an imagination?  I was not talking about pirated DC Comics.  I was talking about supplying comics from other earths to stores in our universe.  There are most likely earths where companies like Malibu, Charlton, Fawcett, & Quality remained in business up untill the present.  At the very least.  In our universe Marvel bought Malibu, & DC bought many of the characters owned by Charlton, Fawcett, & Quality.  Imagine that your company distributes comics between several parallel earths.  In this scenario the reality of the multiverse has already been proven, legally & scientifically.  To almost everyone's satisfaction.  And as far as you are aware you & your company are the only ones with the means to explore the multiverse.  As well as transport matter, energy, & information throughout the multiverse.

I do, in fact, have a vivid imagination. I was just making a joke about DC's denial of a multiverse.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 03:34:30 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Well, yes.

But DC couldn't. You could distribute pirated DC comics to your heart's content to a parallel dimension. DC wouldn't stop you, because they would deny that parallel dimensions exist.

:wink:
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 04:15:49 PM »

I'm not sure you can do the "multiverse" idea justice by simply using it as a wish-fulfilment device. How comforting to imagine an infinite number of "similar but different," or even wildly dissimilar worlds... If conditions and situations on this world don't quite suit you, well -- you can look for a new one. With each new world differing only slightly, and the "multiverse" offering you an infinite number of permutations, you are, in effect, designing your own environment to suit yourself.

If you had the time and the means to travel to these theoretical other worlds in order to find your own perfect conditions, what sort of person would you become? Every challenge has been removed from your path.

Being able to navigate this "multiverse" really does mean you can design your own world, your own country and town, your own friends and situations.

DC traditionally played loose and fast with the whole idea. Have a look at Superboy and the 5 Legion Traitors on this website in the online comics section. Whole "duplicate" Earths can differ from ours merely by having three Ls in SMALLVILLE (Smallvile  Cheesy  ) rather than four. How many new Earths are there separated by a single spelling difference alone?

By the way, Klar Ken... I know you would've already had a good chuckle over Superboy's enlightened thoughts on the status of women: "There's no limit to the variations. Chief Parker may be a criminal in one world, an ape-like being in another... or even a woman!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L