superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:36:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Klukor - the Kryptonian Martial Art  (Read 39331 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 05:02:37 AM »

Yeah, it'd be like living next door to this guy:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Smiley

Nice job, with the Krypto-Flanders!

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 08:22:12 AM »

Hahaha Krypto-Flanders...

Anyway onto K-Martial Arts, I imagine with their superior mental capacity, they wouldn't need martial arts, or that their martial art would be like the chess algorithm. Chess computers/programs work by plotting out every possible move and counter move in any given consideration, into a large tree of calculations, it's likely that the Kryptonians could process moves like this in martial arts. All they'd need is superior processing power and in theory they could beat any opponent, by plotting out every move and counter movement. It'd be a lot more complex than the chess algorithm but work along the same lines.

EDIT: Also with their superior learning capabilities, they could master the arts of reading people (body language, facial expressions, voice tones etc.) very quickly, this would be aided greatly by their superior senses.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 07:21:46 PM »

Interesting discussion here...

Unarmed hand-to-hand combat is naturally the oldest form of fighting, and techniques to improve its efficiency stretch back to antiquity.  Eventually skills first taught for warfare became the basis of competitive sports, such as Greco-Roman wrestling.  (In fact, most if not all of the ancient Olympic games had martial origins -- discus, javelin throw, etc.)

Krypton was probably no different during its early history, as we've seen stories of primative Kryptonian tribes fighting among each other and against technologically-superior alien invaders.  The ancestors of Klurkor and Horu-Kanu might have been developed during this time, perhaps under circumstances similar to Okinawa, as JulianPerez pointed out -- the ban on weaponry did not extend to everyday items and farming tools, so a simple walking stick became the "bo", and the rice flail shorted into "nunchaku".  One could imagine "The Headband Warriors of Krypton!" (http://superman.nu/tales2/headband/) also resorting to martial arts.

As Krypton became more civilized, traditional unarmed fighting might have waned as a combat skill but was retained as a competitive sport and a means to promote physical fitness and (according to many Chinese-based martial arts) spiritual well-being.  And then there were personal protection issues -- Krypton still had crime, but weaponry carried by private civilians seems to be rare.  Perhaps Kryptonian society frowned on this "barbaric" practice (betraying a lack of trust in fellow Kryptonians), or perhaps personal weapons were restricted by law.  But Klurklor might have been allowed as an acceptable means of self-defense.  (The more-lethal Horu-Kanu was probably another matter altogether.)  

I suspect Horu-Kanu was a more combat-oriented martial art, designed to take down opponents quickly and decisively.  It was designed to hurt, disable and kill, so it was either taught only to military and law-enforcement personnel, or banned completely.  Kluklor might have been modified to stress non-violence, such as judo is a "gentler" form of ju-jutsu without the latter's striking moves, while aikido is purely defensive in nature.  On Krypton, both Horu-Kanu and Kluklor were probably no more devastating than their martial arts counterparts on Earth.  But a yellow sun-charged Horu-Kanu master like Faora Hu-Ul would be a dire threat.

It's interesting that Kryptonian physiology was so similar to Earthlings that Kluklor blocks, nerve locks, striking blows and throws could be used on both species without modification.  You'd think there would be differences in nevre bundle locations, or the range in motion of some body joints.  Lois Lane was probably so effective in Kluklor because her moves might not have resembled conventional Earth martial arts, so this confusion probably gave her the element of surprise.  However, a martial arts master might begin to decipher Lois' techniques after intense observation, so that advantage tends to vanish in a prolonged fight.

I suspect that since Kluklor is so rarely practiced on Earth, one might even throw Superman... ONCE.  But after he gets over his initial surprise, you'll never get a second chance before he ties you up like a pretzel!   :wink:

DTO
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »

Interesting aside on alien combat techniques vs Kryptonians:

In a World's Finest team-up with Hawkman, the Tempter manipulates the Hawks, a Kandorian scientist, some Kandorian henchmen, and Superman himself in a bid to tempt Superman into becoming a mass murderer.

In that book, what was noteworthy was how Katar effortlessly disposed of the three Kandorians single-handed.  He noted even super-powered types could be thrown if handled with leverage and surprise.  He followed-up by evening things up by snatching the Kryptonian sapper weapons, turning them on the super-men, thereby reducing them closer to his own power levels.  The Kandorians were so thoroughly defeated and intimidated by Hawkman's attack that the scientist was reduced to fearful gibbering at the end of the fight.  Thanagarian combat techniques seem to have evened the score to some degree for Katar.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 10:39:37 PM »

Just want everyone to know that this thread has inspired me to change my signature line......

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 01:19:02 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
I suspect that since Kluklor is so rarely practiced on Earth, one might even throw Superman... ONCE.  But after he gets over his initial surprise, you'll never get a second chance before he ties you up like a pretzel!   :wink:

See what happened when Karate Kid met Superboy when trying out for the Legion...
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 06:29:15 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"

In that book, what was noteworthy was how Katar effortlessly disposed of the three Kandorians single-handed.  He noted even super-powered types could be thrown if handled with leverage and surprise.

Certain martial arts (such as judo and aikido) take advantage of an opponent's momentum.  By shifting away from the opponent's intended line of attack and then redirecting this motion into a throw or takedown, one literally uses a foe's actions against himself.  And yes, it IS true that the bigger and faster they are, the harder they will fall.   :wink:   The trick is to keep the opponent off-balanced and not get into a situation when you have to match raw strength-on-strength.

DTO
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 02:33:06 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Quote from: "dto"

See what happened when Karate Kid met Superboy when trying out for the Legion...

Hey, does anyone have scans of the epic encounter?  I only know of it from hearsay and editorial comments.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L