superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's Best Girlfriend?  (Read 28395 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 03:31:27 PM »

I'd put your #4 as Lois' real #1 motivation, Klar.  Arguably, everything else about her stems from her prime motivation to be the best journalist there is.

That certainly was captured magnificently in the Superman movies and IMHO reflects the books accurately.

This is even reflected in the current married-Lois.  She selfishly put her career first even though she knew Clark was near-death and being sought by all those super-villains trying to make a rep by killing him.  Diana came to Kal's rescue.  Lana did too.  Lois stayed on assignment in the Middle East.  Go figure.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 03:56:51 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"

This is even reflected in the current married-Lois.  She selfishly put her career first even though she knew Clark was near-death and being sought by all those super-villains trying to make a rep by killing him.  Diana came to Kal's rescue.  Lana did too.  Lois stayed on assignment in the Middle East.  Go figure.

Are you talking about the ACTION COMICS issues by Austen/Reis? Lois was in a war zone! She couldn't know it.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 04:23:13 PM »

Captain Kal writes:

'd put your #4 as Lois' real #1 motivation, Klar. Arguably, everything else about her stems from her prime motivation to be the best journalist there is.

Interesting take.  I'm not sure I always saw it that way.  Certainly journalistic fame and glory seem to be her motivation for being so desperate to prove Superman's identity (but even then, it could just be for leverage in forcing him to marry her).  And I guess professional rivalry as much as romantic rivalry accounts for her fights with Lana.  But it doesn't explain why she wants Superman for a husband, unless she wants to write about being Mrs Superman for a series of articles...but that seems a bit beyond the pale even for someone like her.

You could just as easily make the argument that Lois only has the job as a way to stay in Superman's inner circle.  If she took up another profession, she might not bump into him nearly as often.  I always got the impression 50s and 60s Lois was a husband-hunter first and a journalist second...another reason not to like her.  It's possible to portray Lois as simply so focused on a story that she lands in danger (Terri Hatcher managed this) rather than a nincompoop born with no sense of personal safety, or worse, who assumes she'll end up saved by Superman anyway so why worry?  But often I got the feeling "classic" Lois risked her neck as a way to get Superman's attention.

Again, if you're going to include screen portrayals here, I rather liked what Ms Hatcher did...I could imagine Superman thinking "She's such a dedicated crusader how can I not love her?"  On the other hand, Ms Kidder came off as abrasive and pushy, a reporter whose ego didn't really match up to her abilities (come to think of it, a pretty accurate portrayal of most reporters!).  I guess I could see Superman taking her on as a charity case just because she's such a mess, but love her?  I doubt it.  Noel Neill you had to love as a sweet-hearted girl next door, but there wasn't much va-va-voom there...she was more a sister type.  Phyllis Coates I think was probably the best...sexy, tough without being annoying, compentent enough to hold her own when things got tough.  And not all that interested in Superman as a romantic partner.  I find Lois actually becomes more appealing when Superman has to win her over.  At any rate, it makes her "working girl" gimmick more believable.  It's hard to take her seriously as a hard-hitting journalist if she acts like a love-sick teenager whenever Big Blue enters the room.

This looks like a job for...
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 08:39:23 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Quote from: "Captain Kal"

Are you talking about the ACTION COMICS issues by Austen/Reis? Lois was in a war zone! She couldn't know it.

I believe in a subsequent story with Lana confronting Lois, she was aware of it.  Superman being in that vulnerable state with everyone gunning for him was global news and it did reach even the Middle East.  Lois really didn't have an excuse for Lana when confronted about it strongly suggesting she knew but just decided Clark could handle anything himself.  Even Martha supported Lana's take saying Lois wasn't as supportive a wife as she should be (and nailed Lana at the same time saying she had her chance so let Clark go).

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:01:55 PM »

I for one, was always impressed by Lyra Lerrol, the chief qualification being that she had not two, but THREE Ls in her name.

Seriously, though, there was something very tragic about that story, which cast a pallor over Superman's other loves. The idea of a love that has a shadow of terrible, inevitable doom over it - I was always a sucker for that Michael Moorcock type stuff. The Lyra Lerrol story conjured up all the right emotions: tremendous tragic melancholy, and at the same time, very real passion. The degree of frigid, Norweigian sexlessness about superhero romances (and romance stories in most media in general) made prose like Jerry Seigel's in that story all the more astonishing: "Their kisses had such heat that it made the explosion building at the core of the planet as frosty as a glacier." WOW. I had to hose down my comics collection after that. Possibly the highlight of Jerry Siegel's writing career.

For a guy with as many girlfriends as Superman, he does not show a great deal of romantic savvy or experience. This, incidentally, is a dead-on characterization: one of the best things about Superman is his lack of subterfuge. Superman spent the entire Silver Age in trouble with women somehow, whether it was Lois and Lana performing scheming catfights or elaborate plots. Only the equally women-inexperienced Archie and Spider-Man were in as much hot water as Superman tended to be. Except during Wolfman's run when he dated Lana and stories like Maggin's "Who Took the Super out of Superman?" Superman never really wooed, never really sought to express his passionate feelings. It would not surprise me if Superman has not really been laid yet - or at least did so much later than normal.

As for Lois Lane, I really like her. Firstly because the idea of a mythic, immortal cosmic being like Superman getting together with an ordinary, mortal woman is much more beautiful and romantic than two immortals getting together (which is why Superman/Wonder Woman or Superman/Lemaris is rather boring to me). What many consider Lois's ruthlessness I think, is a very nervous way of saying she was competent. Many people are dismissive of members of the opposite sex that are manipulative, despite their other positive qualities; for this reason, many intelligent women don't like James Bond and dismiss him as a "male chauvanist" or "male fantasy projection."

It's no coincidence that Lois is best written when she is savvy and competent. Diana Dane, the Lois Lane analogue in Alan Moore's SUPREME, solved as many dillemmas as he did, including defeating through logic Szazs the Sprite Supreme, and figuring out Supreme's identity all by herself. The worst lapses in characterization have been when Lois is portrayed as an easily manipulated twit; in other words, when she isn't ruthless ENOUGH!  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 11:22:53 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I had to hose down my comics collection after that. Possibly the highlight of Jerry Siegel's writing career.

LOL... Cheesy

But I have to disagree, Lyla Lerrol seemed way too rushed into a character, aloof, always tilting her head in an Ava Gardner "movie star" manner...I can't really blame Siegel, he had a limiteed number of pages to tell the story, but Lyla Lerrol always struck me as a cold woman, and then poof, I never saw her again until "Krypton's Second Doom" and then she was a robot and yet the exact same romance evolved again...maybe Supes LIKED that...

I am just not sure Siegel was real adept at developing a huge sweeping Silver Screen romance, I liked his take on hard boiled reporters that snoop into trouble better...I even think that Lori Lemaris had a more developed story and sense of tragedy when she and Clark met in college...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 01:44:41 AM »

Siegel was always one of the very best Superman writers ever, heck he did know the character better than anyone else after all Wink While Siegel was best known for his dark Sliver Age Superman tales which were great, he also wrote a lot of those wacky Bizzaro stories and as this story shows he also could write romance. He could do it all.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 03:57:29 AM »

Whelp, I liked the story, Lyla Lerrol still leaves me cold...maybe she needed to be a movie star to advance the plot, but her character seems to be a shallow movie star... Cool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L