superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's Best Girlfriend?  (Read 27857 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 02:10:05 AM »

He never had one, that is why the Earth 1 Superman never married... Cool
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 04:51:33 AM »

Lyla is my favorite.

What the.........Huh??

Ok, I've read that Luma Lynai story more than once, and never noticed how extremely weird the cover was. So why didn't he just marry Supergirl...oh yeah, because of that Kryptonian law binding on Earth that forbade cousin-marriage!

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 05:03:15 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Lyla is my favorite.

What the.........Huh??

Ok, I've read that Luma Lynai story more than once, and never noticed how extremely weird the cover was. So why didn't he just marry Supergirl...oh yeah, because of that Kryptonian law binding on Earth that forbade cousin-marriage!

The writers were having too much fun with Supergirl, having her wish she could marry her Cousin, her marrying her pet Horse, go-go Boots, etc Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 05:34:12 AM »

This thread is heating up --I think we need a poll! Cheesy

My top 4:

Lana
Babs Gordon
Lori
Lois

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 02:43:05 PM »

My top 4 (and Im in a pervy mood today):

Lana
Luma (aka GU  Kara)
Lyla
Loris

(Great Grissom's Ghost! I combined the last 2 into one) :shock:
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »

As I've said in other threads, I love Lana.  Not sure any girl is right for Kal, honestly, but I'd have liked Lana for myself!

I am not a Lois fan and never have been.  I'm probably the poster Captain Kal is referring to having said Lois is Superman's "greatest enemy." Certainly in decades' worth of stories, she was presented as the woman who would domesticate...no make that neuter...Superman if she got him.  It was made clear that if Superman and Lois tied the knot, his freedom, and thence the fun, would be over.  In fact it's a wonder we young male Superman readers didn't all grow up to be hard-core misogynists.

Lana, on the other hand, was the friend, the pal, the sweetheart.  Maybe it's because I mostly remember her from Superboy stories, where boy/girl relationships were presented as flirty, harmless fun...as they usually are at that age.  No chance Lana was going to manuever Clark into matrimony at age 15, so that negative spin is gone from their relationship.  Lois, though, represents the writers' notion of a grown woman...the time for no-strings attached flirting is over, mere friendship can never be enough...she needs commitment and she needs it now.

Tormentor to Clark, conniving threat to Superman...no, there's not much to like about Lois in the classic comics.  (Except for Maggin's great four-parter "Who Took The Super Out of Superman?").  

I have a soft spot for Lori Lemaris, but honestly it's hard to wish for a "happy ending" that puts Superman underwater the rest of his life.

This looks like a job for...
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 02:53:03 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"

Tormentor to Clark, conniving threat to Superman...no, there's not much to like about Lois in the classic comics.  (Except for Maggin's great four-parter "Who Took The Super Out of Superman?").  

The page where Clark and Lois are on dating at Clark's house is my favorite pre-Crisis moment! I didn't really cared for Lois until I read that page... Something similar happened to me when I read SUPERMAN #212 (chapter 9 of the "For tomorrow" saga).

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 03:17:49 PM »

Silver age Lois stories:
1) How to prove Clark Kent is Superman
2)How to get Superman to marry her (or romance her)
3)Fight with Lana Lang
4) be a good reporter

Number 4 are the rearest of SA stories but boy are some of them good. And even Lois prtended to be a Jungle Queen to help Lana get her novel published so not all 100% shrewish but sheesh...

which is why "Superman  II" drives me NUTS!!!! :evil:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L