superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Kirby's "Captain Victory!"  (Read 6217 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 21, 2005, 02:19:49 PM »

PLUG:

Jack Kirby's "Captain Victory" was one of my favorite comic book titles back when it was being pubished in the 1980s.  I've always liked Kirby and his ideas about the nature of humanity, life, and anti-life.  "Captain Victory" wasn't very popular when it came out, but it seemed to me like all his concepts came to a head in the short-lived series.

TwoMorrows publishing has apparently recently published a graphic novel collection of the uninked pencils of Kirby's original proposed "Captain Victory" graphic novel, before the story was chopped up into separate issues.

It's only available via mail order right here and it's only eight bucks, shipping and handling included.

My copy is on order.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:58:07 AM »

Cool.  Kirby pencils are great (I love that "Graphite Edition"!)!

Captain Victory has some of Kirby's most far-out concepts, period.  Iw ill definitely check this out.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:51:41 PM »

Look at the size of those guns!  Those Image artists are pikers!  :lol:

I'll check this out.  The world needs more superheroes with Beatle haircuts...

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:12:23 PM »

I have few Cap Victory comics myself with some heavy handed inking.

These are ALL JK's pencvils?Huh? No D. Bruce whatchamacall it?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 04:52:14 PM »

This was a very important milestone in comics, as it was the 1st ever creator own comic.

This is also the book in which all the characters talk in that crazy Kirby Speak!

"Is there a Goozlebobber somewhere in mid-flight above your area?? You won't know until his crew contracts the dread galactic condition known as -- COSMIC DIARRHEA!"

"That alien pariah can give one a mental hernia! Warts! CLOSURE OF THE PORES -- and an insatiable desire for ACUTE DEPRESSION!"

"What? WHAT? I say 'Bull-Chips' in your cereal, sir!"

Yes, those are real quotes!  :lol:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »

On a more serious note, here is a good read:

Kirby and Goliath:
The Fight for Jack Kirby's Marvel Artwork

http://tcj.com/aa02ss/n_marvel.html

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »

Klar, all the writing and all the artwork is by Jack Kirby - just like the  (13 or so?) issues of the original comic book series.

And for those who like's Kirby's dialogue, this graphic novel also includes Jack's Captain Victory screenplay, which should be chock-full of such stuff.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 12:32:04 AM »

Thanks Rao - Hooo Boy - a King Kirby screenplay that's ALL  "happening right NOW!" so I "should NOT THINK - JUST BUY IT!!!!!"

:twisted:

I love it when Jack's brain explodes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L