superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sons of Superman aka Super-clones  (Read 14125 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:31:28 PM »

I just remembered Superman encountered a number of alternates for himself in his own universe.

One was Hyperman who lived on the Earth-like world, Oceania.  His life closely parallelled Superman's and his weakness was to a blue radioactive substance from his homeworld just like green kryptonite was Superman's weakness.  His secret identity is Chester King.  He's involved with girl reporter Lydia Long.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 07:05:01 PM »

You forgot one copy of Captain Marvel...(and you can't make this up!)

Thunder Bunny! That's right, I said it! It's about a boy who claps and turns into a Bunny:

I'm a proud owner of Thunder Bunny #1, which I got from a grab bag...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 07:07:50 PM »

Some of you seem to have missed one of Beppo's guidelines:
Quote from: "Super Monkey"
now these characters must had to been made by other publishers besides DC!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 07:26:26 PM »

I noticed Captain Thunder, who was an ersatz Captain Marvel in the superbooks, was listed, so I thought DC was still game given that precedent.

My bad if I misinterpreted this.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 07:46:34 PM »

Another character who seems to be based on Fawcett's Captain Marvel is Marvel's Captain Mar-Vell. Maybe not at first, but later, the way he ended up sharing his existence with Rick Jones, having to swap in and out of the real world, seemed very much like they were trying to bring the character more in line with being a more sophisticated version of his old namesake. (Roy Thomas, who was writing Marvel's Marv at the time, is a well-known fan of those oldie comics.)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 07:48:24 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Some of you seem to have missed one of Beppo's guidelines:
Quote from: "Super Monkey"

S!

OOPS!  Sorry about that -- I just got caught up with the flow of the "conversation" and forgot the original post.

OK, what about Warren Ellis' "Planetary" series from WildStorm?

1.  In Issue #1, an alternate universe counterpart of the JLA (including an obvious parallel Superman) attacks Doc Brass and his group of heroes.  All are slain except the maimed Brass.

2.  In Issue #10, the Planetary Earth's equivalent of Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman were all slain by the evil Four before they could begin their superhero careers.  The alien baby was incinerated in his space capsule immediately after landing.

3.  "Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta" created a reverse world where the regular heroes (Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, The Drummer and Ambrose Chase) take the place of the villianous Four.  They are opposed by Bruce Wayne, who invites Clark Kent and Diana Prince to join him.  While this Clark clearly has superpowers, he doesn't wear a costume.

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 07:48:24 PM »

noticed Captain Thunder, who was an ersatz Captain Marvel in the superbooks, was listed, so I thought DC was still game given that precedent.

My bad if I misinterpreted this.

That's key, the point here is to find how many other companies besides DC (DC owns Superman for better or worst, so they can make all the copies they want and they have made tons) have made tributes to Superman. Those Golden Age versions were not considered tributes by DC, so they were all sued and DC ended up buying Captain Marvel.

I only mention Captain Thunder because, DC didn't create Captain Marvel and he is the most famous copycat.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 07:56:24 PM »

I stand corrected.  Like I said above, my bad.

OK, how about Marvel's Captain Ultra? While he has flight, invulnerability, and super-strength, he has the Martian Manhunter's weakness to fire.

I think we could push matters and suggest Ikaris of the Eternals.  His powers are very much like Superman's as his the colour-scheme of his outfit, though he's a blonde.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L