superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for old Superman hardback book  (Read 8613 times)
RyuHayabusa
Superman Fan

« on: August 28, 2005, 10:17:27 PM »

Hi, when I was younger, I remember checking out a Superman book from the library that was loaded with info and pictures. I think it came out around 1978, though I may be very wrong about that. Unfortunately, I've looked everywhere, including Ebay, and cannot find it. It was a hardback book, about 300 pages, with a white cover featuring the covers of roughly 20-25 different issues of Superman. If anyone knows what book I'm talking about, or where to find it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have two questions about two Superman issues that I cannot seem to locate. One of them had Superman on some ship talking to some aliens. They told him that he was actually the third Superman, and they showed him the remains of the previous two Supermen. One looked like he was covered in tumors. I don't remember the plot though. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Also, does anyone remember the issue where Superman flew through a black hole?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 10:35:42 PM »

The story with three dead Supermen was in Action Comics #399, April 1971, "Superman, You're Dead ... Dead ... Dead!".  It didn't involve aliens exactly but the 24th century Historical Foundation of Earth which used a chrono-selector to snatch various heroes from the past just before they died so history students could study them first-hand.  It turned out that they were from an alternate universe which unintentionally tore a hole into Superman's mainstream Earth and time.  It was reprinted in the hardcover Superman From the 30's to the 70's.  The hardcover you're seeking may be this book.

I'd need some more details on the tumours story.  It sounds like one of the classic Virux X tales when Superman was really dying.  If it's the Virus X story you meant and I'm thinking of, it turned out Virus X is plant-like enough to be destroyed by white kryptonite which the Bizarros had strewn over Superman's funeral coffin as a 'gift' to help him die faster.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 10:48:20 PM »

Quote from: "RyuHayabusa"
Also, I have two questions about two Superman issues that I cannot seem to locate. One of them had Superman on some ship talking to some aliens. They told him that he was actually the third Superman, and they showed him the remains of the previous two Supermen. One looked like he was covered in tumors. I don't remember the plot though. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Since you are linking this to your second question, I think the "tumors" refer to Action #399, the one Superman corpse in a glass case surrounded by liquid and swirling gas...

A weird issue, in a classic strange (and unrealistic) take on alternate universes, Lincoln and Wahington actually performed each other's feats in the history of that timeline...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 10:53:55 PM »

There are two versions of the book:

Superman From the 30's to the 70's
Superman From the 30's to the 80's

Just use E-Bay and search for Superman From the 30's to the
do the same at Amazon, they have copies of both. There are a few Superman From the 30's to the 70's on e-bay right now.

amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0517551004/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-0710795-9351335?v=glance

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
RyuHayabusa
Superman Fan

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:57:32 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
The story with three dead Supermen was in Action Comics #399, April 1971, "Superman, You're Dead ... Dead ... Dead!".  It didn't involve aliens exactly but the 24th century Historical Foundation of Earth which used a chrono-selector to snatch various heroes from the past just before they died so history students could study them first-hand.  It turned out that they were from an alternate universe which unintentionally tore a hole into Superman's mainstream Earth and time.  It was reprinted in the hardcover Superman From the 30's to the 70's.  The hardcover you're seeking may be this book.

I'd need some more details on the tumours story.  It sounds like one of the classic Virux X tales when Superman was really dying.  If it's the Virus X story you meant and I'm thinking of, it turned out Virus X is plant-like enough to be destroyed by white kryptonite which the Bizarros had strewn over Superman's funeral coffin as a 'gift' to help him die faster.

Thanks for the info. That does sound like the issue I was talking about. Also, I believe the book I saw was Superman From The 30's To The 80's. I can't find a picture of the cover anywhere, but I'm almost certain that's it. It had some parts from the comic I had mentioned in it.

It also featured the cover of an issue of Superman that I've been unable to locate. On the front, someone is shooting Superman with some age-accelerating ray. Superman is old looking, reaching up to the guy while the guy says "By the time you reach me Superman, you'll be dead!" Does anyone know what issue this is?
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 01:10:05 PM »

It was Superman #250.  Great Neal Adams cover.

And here's the cover to the collection, which is pretty much the way you remember it...

Grand Comics Database does it again!  Cheesy

This looks like a job for...
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:26:30 PM »

The cover of Superman #250 (April 1972) is the only one that comes to my mind, and is surely the one you are thinking of.
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 01:31:27 PM »

Nightwing, by an amazing coincidence you posted the cover while I was tracking it down and typing up my reply!

Needless to say, I had no knowledge of your posting, but I feel rather embarrassed now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L