superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:13:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for old Superman hardback book  (Read 8447 times)
RyuHayabusa
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 02:24:46 PM »

Nightwing, you nailed both of them! Thanks for posting those. I haven't seen that cover in almost 20 years, but that is most certainly it. I'd love to get ahold of that book. It had loads of great stuff in it. Thanks again!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 04:39:42 PM »

ABE Books lists a few vendors with copies of the book.  Prices start at $21 and go up from there:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?y=0&tn=superman+30s+80s&x=0

Amazon lists 19 copies through its Z-shops:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0517551004/ref=dp_olp_2//002-1305577-3552064?condition=all

Looks like there's a few out there if you look around.  You might also try your local library if you just want to read the stories.  The content is very close to the 70s version, except for the 80s stuff obviously, and a late 40s story featuring the A-Bomb.

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 06:15:55 PM »

Here's Action #399...

If I remember right, the second Superman was in a state of decomposition because of a run in with a "space vampire"...
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 07:48:47 PM »

Not quite but close, MatterEaterLad.

The first alternate-universe Superman died from having his powers drained by a Space Vampire.

The second alternate-universe Superman died from a super-virus that was dissolving his artificial cells into protoplasm.  He picked it up from a visit to a disease-quarantine planet.

The third alternate-universe Superman was supposed to die from encountering an unstable new energy source.  The artificial protoplasm they used to recreate this Superman could not withstand this trauma.

Of course, in the mainstream universe, none of these events occurred and our Superman easily withstood the solar energy furnace that killed his alternate self.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 08:11:25 PM »

Doh!  Cool

Thanks for filling in my dim memories...
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 11:17:14 PM »

I just picked up a copy of 'From the 30s to the 80s Superman'.

It's quite a fun read.  Although at times I was having a problem identifying Lois from Lana.  I guess that's why they gave Lois that really short haricut and style for black and white reprints.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 03:57:56 AM »

Well, Superman doesn't have hyper steroid water balloons for quadraceps,and the women seem to be drawn as idealized "pretty"...product of the times again...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L